Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

Can anybody give me a rough estimate on how much it's going to cost to have the power steering hose replaced on my 2001 XG300? I know it's like asking how long is a piece of string, so I appreciate any answer. I'm kind of upset because the car only has 21K miles on it and I'm afraid this is the start of a lot of bad things to come.

Also, I know this may be a stupid question, but is there any way this is covered under the 10/100K warranty? I read an earlier post from somebody that their dealer replaced their high pressure hose at no charge but he didn't say who the dealer was.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
If I was at work I could look it up on our price guide.. The pressure hose is not inexpensive, and it is a royal pain to replace too.

I like to replace XG lines when I find them leaking while I gots the frame out for frame recall... then we just charge 1/2 labor because the frame is out and line is easier to get at,,, but as soon as frame hits the rails, you paying full price then.

·
Registered
31 Posts
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Nov 12 2010, 09:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371253
If I was at work I could look it up on our price guide.. The pressure hose is not inexpensive, and it is a royal pain to replace too.

I like to replace XG lines when I find them leaking while I gots the frame out for frame recall... then we just charge 1/2 labor because the frame is out and line is easier to get at,,, but as soon as frame hits the rails, you paying full price then.

Frame recall????

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (jakepatch @ Nov 13 2010, 02:08 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371297
Frame recall????

Umm,,,, Yea.... Been running a year now...

Ever visit the dealer for service in the last year ?

Hyundai know who the correct current owner is ? You original owner ?

Go to dealer, and ask fella to run VIN on WEBDCS for recall.... I can do it Monday if need be, just need VIN.

XG300 in north climates... venture you qualify for frame... not had a 300 that did not get a frame.

See if you can punch hole forward of right control arm mounting at side of frame... sometimes odd looking rust line or circles is dead giveaway... look at frame rail at right rear corner, look crappy, hit it with hammer.

We have all kinds of fun with them

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
No I'm not the original owner. I bought mine about a year ago. This is the first I have heard about a frame recall, I haven't had mine to a dealer since I bought it. I would appreciate if you could look it up. It's cold and raining here so I'm not gonna go out and check under the car. Sending PM.
Thanks

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (jakepatch @ Nov 13 2010, 06:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371403
No I'm not the original owner. I bought mine about a year ago. This is the first I have heard about a frame recall, I haven't had mine to a dealer since I bought it. I would appreciate if you could look it up. It's cold and raining here so I'm not gonna go out and check under the car. VIN on mine is (VIN removed for privacy concerns)Thanks
It be Monday morning at earliest, you should have IM before your lunch time there is over.. edit your post to remove the VIN from public, and send it to me via the message function here.

·
Registered
136 Posts
high pressure power steering hose assembly?

OMG. it's not BAD getting out, but you need the patience of Ghandi to get back it.

This is what I did.

bought the hose assembly from rockauto. About $100.

if you can find the leak ,it's probably in where the compression section is on the rubber hose.

if you feel it necessary to replace the ENTIRE assembly start here:

drain the oil from the P/S res.
remove plastic engine cover.
removed the airbox, lower and upper. (you should see the top of the tranny)
remove battery, airbox with 10mm socket. (the 3rd bolt is hiding on the driverside bottom
remove the 10mm nut from firewall (holds the fat part of hose)
with a 24mm socket loosen the banjo bolt.
catch the oil.

****if just to replace the rubber hoses, skip to:

with a 17mm wrench, remove both fittings from power steering. you have to get your wrench below the trans, to fit.

TAKE APART: (my rational: the hardline is just that. a hard to hard fitting, if that's leaking, something is seriously wrong)

now, I chose to take apart the assembly at the fittings behind the block (curse you hyundai) I saw it as the easy way to get the soft hose assembly out from behind the firewall.

leaning with chest on the upper intake, a 14mm and a 19 or 20mm wrench, separate the hard line from the fitting.

underneath the car:

take note of the angles of the banjobolt fitting to the pump. (this is important for reassembly)
remove the banjo bolt from pump, catch both copper washers to verify.
let drain and then clean up the oil with solvent or simple green etc.

remove the hose assembly and have lunch.

put the new assembly (with the new hardline removed, and or replaced) in place.

with a competent helper to hold the hole at proper angles (use them as a living mold) get the banjo bolt with the two new crush washers back in the pump. Good luck with that, especially if you didn't de-grease the area)

again, back on top, attach the hole to the exisitng hard line and tighten. a solid grunt is sufficient. you HAVE to hold both fittings with wrenches. attach nut to firewall while down there.

reassembly the rest, refill with Hyundai's PSF-3 (good luck finding it) or just their SP-III trans fluid.

if you can cannot do this, or have already drained the system, cut the belt to the PW pump and drive to the shop. it'll mean, no P/S but it won't damage the pump.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (ramblemn @ Nov 21 2010, 01:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373582
what's the big deal with the VIN? ( they are publicly displayed)
For about the same reason you dont post your home phone in your signature line, or in a post with call me at ...

Side note, he has open frame recall, will be this coming Friday I think he said.. Dealer verified info I supplied to him in reference to his vehicle.. hopefully he get new frame replacement.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes my car will be going in Friday Nov. 26th. The dealer said they will do an inspection and depending on what they find either recondition(undercoat) my current frame or replace if needed. They said they will need my car for about 5 hours. I'll keep you posted on what happens then.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Took my car in today. They did replace the frame with a new one, also did a full four wheel alignment, except they weren't able to get the RR wheel fully aligned. They said the toe was way out and they were able to get it pretty close, and said the camber is off but they are not able to adjust it. All in all I was happy with the service, and I can tell they car rides alot nicer now due to the alignment.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Got copy of finished align numbers ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
No, the receipt I have does not have numbers on it.
As written on the receipt;
"Aligned rear as best as possible. Rear camber is still out of specs, RR is not adjustable. Rear toe was way out but able to get close to specs to help with excessive tire wear."

They said something about I would have to take it to a frame shop to actually get it right when I picked it up. I can tell a big difference in how it drives now, I think i'm going to leave as is for now. I hope/assume the car won't be eating rear tires as bad is it was before now, so I think I'll wait and see how it does on the tires and if it does still chew up tires or start to again, then I'll look at getting more work done. I bought my car last January and I am now on my 3rd set of tires on the rear, hopefully these will last longer now.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
At least they try to be honest with you.

But,,,,,, I would still like to see the numbers to see where you at currently :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
QUOTE (coisty @ Nov 12 2010, 08:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371239
Hello Everyone,

Can anybody give me a rough estimate on how much it's going to cost to have the power steering hose replaced on my 2001 XG300? I know it's like asking how long is a piece of string, so I appreciate any answer. I'm kind of upset because the car only has 21K miles on it and I'm afraid this is the start of a lot of bad things to come.

Also, I know this may be a stupid question, but is there any way this is covered under the 10/100K warranty? I read an earlier post from somebody that their dealer replaced their high pressure hose at no charge but he didn't say who the dealer was.

Thanks in advance!
hi coisty: how much did the replacement cost you? I got an estimate of $254.36 from car repair costs,$147.63 for the power steering hose and $106.73(labor). I want to know if the estimate price is near with the actual shop price. And how long did they fixed it?

Thank you.

·
Registered
136 Posts
seems those hoses have an issue with the rubber compression to hard fitting.

no need to remove the entire system, you can do it by only replacing the hoses at the hard fittings.

it's highly unlikely that the hard lines themselves are the source of the leak. a double flared fitting isn't going to be the issue. it's the rubber compression sleeve or the sleeve to the hard pipe that is typically the issue. not the double flared hard line that is connected to the pump directly OR to the rack (two pipes) directly.

tons of time saved if you can pinpoint the leak and just replace the section with the leak.

30K miles with just the rubber section and holding.

If you need to consider what I'm saying, when you replace a flex line on your brake system, you may inspect,but you aren't replacing the hard lines too, are you???

1 - 16 of 16 Posts