Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My check engine light came on today and the following error codes were reported:
P0401 - EGR valve flow insufficient
P1159
P1191
P1193 - limp home

The car is running fine except it will idle roughly if I come to a quick stop after driving on the highway. Should I replace the EGR valve, or is it possibly another issue? Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
First thing I'd do is clear the codes, either with a scanner or disconnect the battery for a few minutes, and then see how long it takes for them to come back. If "The car is running fine except it will idle roughly..." you are not in limp home mode. Believe me, you know when you are in limp home mode.

In my case it was a broken nipple on the EGR selonoid (located on the back left side of the engine) that one of the numerous little rubber hoses connects to. It was broken by a mechanic as he leaned over the engine working on an unrelated problem. It caused the 0401 code to be posted about every hundred miles of driving and was a totally liveable situation as the car was running fine.

Other thing to do is take the engine cover off (if it isn't off already) and look very closely at the small rubber tubes that run around the engine. Look for cracks, poor fit at the ends, and broken nipples.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Your symptoms and codes clearly point to a gunked egr valve. If it was my car, I'd take it off and clean it, check the hoses, etc. Replacing it altogether is a good option too, as they are not expensive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your prompt replies. We'll take a look at the EGR valve, solenoid and hoses.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts