Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a full aftermarket exhaust system that was put on my car before i bought it and I was told the catylitic converter has been removed from the system. I am now getting the catylist deficiency code which I know is because of the deleted catylitic converter, but was wondering if I could get rid of this code by either having an o2 sensor installed somwhere on the exhaust or would i need to replace the catylitic converter back to the car to get rid of the code? If anyone could help I would appreciate it.

thanks,

Nick

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
SOL ... front sensor (S1) monitors fresh exhaust from cylinder before the cat for fuel trim correction... it toggles like crazy..

The downstream sensor (S2) is after the cat, and it is used to monitor Cat efficiency... it is a real slow lazy sensor who life is mostly flat (assuming the catalyst is in place between S1 & S2)...

Remove the cat.... S1 & S2 now mirror each other, both toggle like crazy.... PCM logic think catalyst is no good..

Exhaust from cylinder --> S1 toggles --> CATALYST --> S2 slow/lazy ---->cat working

Exhaust from cylinder --> S1 toggles --> NO CAT --> S2 toggles same as S1 --> BUM Catalyst, hence the 0420 code.

Maybe call the dealer and see if they know a way to get around it, Do you have anykind of Smog Inspection there ?

You could buy a catalyst at part store and have muffler shop fitit in somewhere, and then run the S2 behind the cat assuming it it fitted close enough to work with the OE sensor wire length, and fit the S1 where exhaust from head will blow acros it..

Got pics of of the exhaust in question ? No phone pics, they blurry..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no pics of the exhaust, and i am plannin on gettin a universal high flow cat and just runnin the o2 sensor to it just figured i would ask and see if anyone knew another way to get around it.

thanks,

nick

1 - 3 of 3 Posts