Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I am in need of the communities expertise. I have a 2001 Hyundai Sante Fe that died on me while driving down my street. The engine sounded like it was loading up for about 1-2 seconds, then it died. It turns over but does not fire.

After a little troubleshooting, I have no spark in cylinders 1 and 4. I swapped the two coils thinking that I had a bad coil, but then the suspected bad coil created spark on the 2-3 cylinder side. So both coils work.

I towed the car to the shop and the mechanic after about 2 hours of billed labor, he is leaning toward a bad ecu. He said there also is no fuel metering from two of the fuel injectors. He checked the resistance on the injectors and said they are fine. He is thinking it is a control/command issue. The car has many other unrelated problems and I am not sure I want to spend too much more money on it.

I am skeptical about a bad ecu. Can anyone think of a sensor, or sensors that may be causing my two cylinder no spark and alleged fuel problem?

The car is at the shop as I am typing so the faster someone can chime in the less my labor cost might be :)

Thanks in advance,
Victor

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, New update....

Mechanic has stopped working on the car, he has said he wants to replace an ECU, and a Mass Air Flow sensor (Which I knew was bad).

+ Labor = $2600.00

I have told him to stop working and I will pick up the car for $350 in past labor.

Please Help!

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
I'd be checking the wiring harness for cracked insulation, or we've heard tell of mice chewing the wires on more than one occasion. It's not far fetched to imagine the mechanic knows this, has located the bad wire, but sizes you up for an easy kill.

Most definitely it's not the MAF sensor, since you're not getting spark. MAF would be a fuel problem. MAFs can be found on eBay too, just get the part number.

ECUs do go bad, but it's usually the very last thing to go bad. $2600 is excessive, I agree. You could get a used one from eBay for $100 or so and replace it yourself. You'll have to locate it and find the part number to be sure you get the right one.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
On second thought, it's almost certainly not an ECU issue, as that would more likely produce spark failure across all the cylinders. Did the mechanic do a code scan? If not, or he didn't tell you, you need to run one yourself.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (jsinton @ Jul 23 2010, 03:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=344239
On second thought, it's almost certainly not an ECU issue, as that would more likely produce spark failure across all the cylinders. Did the mechanic do a code scan? If not, or he didn't tell you, you need to run one yourself.

The MAF Sensor was kind of unrelated, I knew before I brought it that is was probably bad, I've had poor gas mileage, and the plugs were very dark with excess fuel. Already replaced the O2 sensor.

As for the codes, I did check them before I bought it in and there were:

P0300
P0102
P0113

Bear in mind some of those might have been created when I unplugged the leads to the various fuel injectors, while cranking, on the cylinders that I had the plugs out to see where I had spark.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QUOTE (jsinton @ Jul 23 2010, 05:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=344265
Did you try to clean the MAF with electrical cleaner?

You need to clear the codes and read them again.
I have been doing that for the last 6-9 months... This has been a long term issue. I just need to fix the no spark issue first. Those codes were recent, the codes I had for the MAF sensor were P0171, and one other one I don't remember right of hand. If I can get the car running again, I can fix the mixture problem.

Victor

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Well you can try the ecu route, like I said you can get one from eBay for around $100 and rule that out. Sounds like the mechanic was going to sell you one, but he wasn't really sure. But I'd still be looking for the frayed wire.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your input, I will definitely be looking at wire continuity, I just have to find out where the wires go upstream of the coil. The ECU will wait till Monday when I can search for one used.

Victor

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same Issue

I have a similar issue. My Santa Fe quit running one day as I was driving. The fuel pump hums when I turn the key to on. The spark plugs look ok. One coil is not getting a spark. We replaced that coil and it still isn't sparking. The timing belt appears to be fine. I bought a OBD II reader, and it gave me the code for the camshaft position sensor. We replaced that today, but there is still no spark. Next up on the list is to replace the wiring leading up to the ignition coil. I gave it a quick look over. It appears to be ok, but I might replace it anyway. The outer housing is cracked a little, but the car is 13 years old so I expect that. Before it died there was an awful sound coming from the engine. It sounded like a piston was rubbing/scraping. I have no idea whether that is related or not. I am throwing that out there just in case it is related to my electrical issues. I have noticed other weird electrical issues as well. The middle brake light usually works, but sometimes it doesn't work and sometimes only part of it works. Again, I have no idea whether that is related, but I am mentioning it anyway.

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Man O. MAN.I need help.I got a 2003 Santa fe 2.4 L and it doing the samething. Kinda at a lost and my last resort maybe to take it to dealership. I get some cranks but no complete start! Thus far I have change coil packs, Crank sensor, cam shaft sensor, Ignition Fail sensor, timing belt and water pump. Even checked the ECM fuses and changed all fuses associated with ECM. Can anyone please advise. My new coils are not getting any fire either as the old ones were. Thinking about the ECU computer under the radio next. Any advice would greatly be appreciated. On my code reader it gave me a code for fault crank sensor. Changed that and NO change.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,919 Posts
I think it's a bit early to go replacing the ECU at this point. You need to check that the fuel pump is being switched on and there is spark during crank. No fuel pump operation and no spark suggests a crank sensor circuit problem. Perhaps not the sensor itself since you've replaced it but there could be a break in the wiring between the sensor and the ECU. An ECU is an expensive component so you don't want to go replacing one until your sure that's where the problem lies.

Regards.
Scottie.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts