Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cranks fine.
No 12v to the fuel pump relay coil, have 12v to the fuel pump relay terminals. Bypassing the relay gets the fuel pump running but the car still will not run.

All fuses are good. All relays are good.

Any other ideas will be most welcome.

jwcharboneau

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,582 Posts
Don't know the reason why there is no control side voltage to turn relay on
Don't know if the relay is any good

When it won't start, check for fuel pump to prime fuel rail
Check also to see if there is spark at the plugs

If you have one but not the other then must follow that line to find issue
If they are both out then may be crank sensor

Good luck

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,318 Posts
When you switch the ignition on, is the CEL illuminating?

All fuses are good. All relays are good.
Fuses are good but are they being supplied with voltage? Check that you have 12V being supplied to the ECU fuses on the engine bay fusebox when the ignition is on.

·
Registered
15,318 Posts
What about the CEL?

Only 3 ECU fuses had no 12v. Two 20 amp and one 10 amp.
All the ECU fuses should have 12V when the ignition is on. It sounds to me like your engine control relay isn't switching on. That'll be the large square relay on the engine bay fusebox.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I pulled that relay and it tested good outside the car.

That being the case, would it be that there is no 12v to the relay coil or something else?

·
Registered
15,318 Posts
Test the 12V supplies at the relay socket on the fusebox and see if one is missing (there should be two when the ignition is on).
Next do a relay bypass test then check that you have 12V on the ECU fuses with the 30 & 87 terminals of the relay socket bridged.

If the relay power supplies are OK, and you have 12V on the ECU fuses when the relay is bypassed, you know the problem has to be the relay coil ground.

The relay coil ground comes from the engine PCM. It's a switched output that the PCM sends to the relay when the PCM receives an input from the ignition switch. In other words, when you turn on the ignition the PCM is supposed to turn on the engine control relay, by sending a ground to the relay coil.

Off the top of my head, there are three possible reasons for there being no ground at the relay coil....
1. the relay control wire is open circuit/broken between the PCM and the relay.
2. the ignition input wire is open between the fusebox and the PCM (you have checked ALL the fuses....right?)
3. the relay driver inside the PCM is faulty (highly unlikely, but can't be totally ruled out at this point)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haven't checked the 12v as you suggested, went directly to bypassing the ECU relay and the fuel pump relay. The car still won't run.

To my mind, things are pointing to the ECM (this model has an ECM vs. PCM) being the problem.

However, I'll go through all the checks that you suggest tomorrow, just to confirm.

Thanks for your help and suggestions. If you think of anything else, please don't hesitate to say.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Problem was the ECM. Replaced and that car ran fine for about a day and a half. Now I get no power to the fuel pump.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not back to post 1. ECU fixed the no start problem. The fuel pump issue started 1.5 days after the ECU was replaced.

Near as I can tell, it's an open wire from the fuel pump relay to the fuel pump itself, but I don't like that explanation. Without a clear wiring diagram though, it's the one I'm stuck with unless someone here has another option.

·
Registered
15,318 Posts
Near as I can tell, it's an open wire from the fuel pump relay to the fuel pump itself, but I don't like that explanation. Without a clear wiring diagram though, it's the one I'm stuck with unless someone here has another option.
We can't really give you another opinion at this point because we don't know what steps you've taken to reach the conclusion that the pump circuit is open?

Is the pump relay switching on DURING CRANK?
Is there power to the pump check connector DURING CRANK?

FUEL PUMP CHECK CONNECTOR LOCATION

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't see a fuel pump check connector in the position that your picture shows. Remember that this is a 2001 model year.

·
Registered
15,318 Posts
Remember that this is a 2001 model year.
Hyundai have been fitting those check connectors since the late 90's, so I'm surprised to hear your 2001 car doesn't have one.

Great to hear your mobile again, and I'm sayin' nothin' :laugh:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts