Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi: I am new to this and I need some help.

I have a 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe.

My Cruise control, Speedometer / Odometer stopped working.

I know this is something to do with a speed sensor. When I looked online there are few of them:

output speed sensor / vehicle speed sensor and another one located near the transmission.

Can someone please tell me which Sensor should I be worried about. I also bought a OBDII reader and it will not pick up the code either.

Any help would appreciate it! Thanks!:)

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Hi: I am new to this and I need some help.

I have a 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe.

My Cruise control, Speedometer / Odometer stopped working.

I know this is something to do with a speed sensor. When I looked online there are few of them:

output speed sensor / vehicle speed sensor and another one located near the transmission.

Can someone please tell me which Sensor should I be worried about. I also bought a OBDII reader and it will not pick up the code either.

Any help would appreciate it! Thanks!:)
More than likely you have a problem with your "vehicle speed sensor". Here is a link that shows location and tips on how to remove it.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/195-sm-2001-2006-santa-fe/117717-infamous-vss-02-santa-fe.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
Take a look at the front RH CV axle; it has a toothed wheel that could be broken. At this axle has another SPEED/RANGE SENSOR, this sensor could be your problem. I changed the CV axle that was damaged and the sensor. The two (input and output) sensors on top of the transmission was not my problem, if I'm not wrong, it should show trouble code P0501, or no code at all.

·
Registered
843 Posts
FYI,
The input- and ouput speed sensor are used by the ECU to check/calculate input shaft and output shaft speeds of the transmission, so no link to speedo or odo. Only the vehicle speed sensor VSS is used for the speedo, and also for the cruise control.
The wheel speed sensors (tone rings and hall sensors at the wheels) are used for the ABS, so also no connection to the speedo there.
Good luck,
Paul

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tone rings and wheel sensors are linked to the speedometer and range of the vehicle, and yes, it will create driving problems..been there, fixed it and have the vehicle on the road fine again...

·
Registered
843 Posts
Gera,
In what way the speedometer is linked to the ABS wheel sensors?
When wheel sensors are bad it can certainly produce some erratic driving, erratic braking etc. but I cannot see the link to the speedometer.
Greets,
Paul

1 - 7 of 7 Posts