Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 01 santa fe 2.7 motor. I have read several threads in here regarding the famous pump whine. my pump is making a whine at idle, I have cleaned the bottle and made sure the screen has not restrictions, drained all the fluid, and have inspected the lines for leaks.

With a stethoscope have pin the noised to the pump, the noise travels in the reservoir when I race the engine the noise is more evident on the bottle. I am tempted to replace the pump, but the steering has no issues and operates fine, also no change in the whine noise when moving left to right.

Does anyone have other thoughts.

·
Registered
390 Posts
There is a screen inside the bottle that tends to clog up over time and cause the pump to whine. You can remove the bottle and blast it with carb or brake cleaner. I'm not saying that it definitely is your problem but a possibility and something inexpensive to try before you decide on replacing more expensive components.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I stated in my orig post I cleaned the screen in the bottle, which i didn't notice must change, I went on a limb and replaced the pump, oddly enough its quite when its warm, but when its cold (its about 10-15 degrees in boston) the noise is there for a good 20 mins. I tried using a scope to isolate the noise, but have been able to pinpoint it. I also have another 02 sonata that is also having the same condition!.

from what I read it could be a tensioner for the timing belt, which they were done about 15k ago, but I don't feel like throwing money at parts $$ which I kinda already did :)

I m going to drive it some more and see if I can isolate the noise better

·
Registered
390 Posts
This is a long shot but maybe there is some restriction in the rack. Check this video out. Something cheap to try.
otherwise you may be in need of a PS pump.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have had some really good luck with many of my cars by adding some LUCAS oil additives, especially their power steering additive. It is Labeled Power Steering Stop Leak and additive. I have never used it as a stop leak, because I have never found any product that does that, no matter what they claim. But I have used it on many of my older cars as a fluid additive, and it has quieted down many a noisey pump for me & I also had a car where the steering rack was going bad and there was a jumping or bumping feeling in the steering wheel when I turned it in either direction & it actually got rid of that problem! I use all their additives mainly in my older vehicles.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had crazy whining.Ball bearing changed inside the PS pump-works great,no more noise.My fluid for PS -Castrol ATF +4-synthetic.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The bearing is inside the pump,and to get in there,You need to remove 4 bolts and split the pump.I had 3", 3 arms puller from Princess Auto,and my new bearing to.It is easy job,but the pump must be removed from the vehicle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts