Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 sonata , and cant get the drum off, I noticed it don't have 2 threaded holes for a 10mm bolt to pop off the drum , then I noticed the 2 small holes in the drum well one had a countersunk hold down screw in it ,so I took it out ok -does the other side hole that has nothing in it have threads in the hole for removing it with a bolt?

·
Registered
623 Posts
That's where you screw IN another bolt (hex head) to press/separate the disc/drum if it doesn't come out nicely. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Drum with one threaded hole

That's where you screw IN another bolt (hex head) to press/separate the disc/drum if it doesn't come out nicely. :)
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Thanks for the picture ,could you tell me what size thread that is for the hex head bolt to separate the the drum from the hub?

·
Registered
623 Posts
It's a metric size :). That's why I used a hammer - from back, hitting on the inner edge (not shiny part). If you drove the car with parking brake on, it might have grooves inside that don't let the drum clear the pads.
PS: Hope you have released the parking brake...

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
First of all we should clarify what brake type this is about:
Drum only OR
DIH (drum in hat) disc brake

At the drum-only brake it may be very hard to get the drum off if the drum is worn and has a big ridge the shoes can't get past. It may be needed to reset/retract the auto adjuster first. Since I don't have such a brake to look at right now (but the adjuster must be accessible some way): Is there a hole in the drum filled with something like a rubber plug ? or something similar at the backing plate ?

The 'puller'-bolt holes/threads are meant to help only in case the drum/disc is sticking to the bearing flange due to corrosion.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
once you get it off, have a dremel handy. the inner edge of the drump mushrooms out over time creating a lip that holds the drum against the shoes, real ass to get off.

grind that off and problem solved.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Drum only OR
Correct! I didn't know the terminology for those :)
Mine is DIH, so not too much wear on inside - I used sandpaper on that very small lip. I assumed that all Sonatas are the same on rear.
What I found is that, on DIH, the parking brake shoes are not self-adjustable. I needed to use that hole covered with rubber and 'play' with the adjuster star (see right side of the pic).

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
grinding off the lip

once you get it off, have a dremel handy. the inner edge of the drump mushrooms out over time creating a lip that holds the drum against the shoes, real ass to get off.

###################################################

say could post a photo of the place you would grind off I would appreciate it

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no hole for adjuster

First of all we should clarify what brake type this is about:
Drum only OR

At the drum-only brake it may be very hard to get the drum off if the drum is worn and has a big ridge the shoes can't get past. It may be needed to reset/retract the auto adjuster first. Since I don't have such a brake to look at right now (but the adjuster must be accessible some way): Is there a hole in the drum filled with something like a rubber plug ? or something similar at the backing plate ?

The 'puller'-bolt holes/threads are meant to help only in case the drum/disc is sticking to the bearing flange due to corrosion.
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
A 2001 sonata or a elontra model does not have an access hole with a rubber plug
B)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
drum or disk brake

Correct! I didn't know the terminology for those :)
Mine is DIH, so not too much wear on inside - I used sandpaper on that very small lip. I assumed that all Sonatas are the same on rear.
What I found is that, on DIH, the parking brake shoes are not self-adjustable. I needed to use that hole covered with rubber and 'play' with the adjuster star (see right side of the pic).
------------------------------------------------------------------------
this photo is for a disk type rear brake set up , I have a regular drum type set up they Hyundai offered that package for more money that year and I believe on the V6 models it was standard :eek:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
grinding off with dremel

=========================================================
say could you please make a little diagram or do you have a photo of the part to grind off with the dremel thanks :rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts