Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing the timing belt on my 2001 Hyundai sonata. It has been instructed in a couple of videos/guides to set the timing belt onto the intake came sprocket 1 tooth forward, clockwise, so that when you attach and release the tensioner, the belt is pulled 1 tooth back into correct alignment on the sprocket, counterclockwise.

I was attempting to do this by placing the belt on 1 tooth forward clockwise like the instructions said, but it didn't fit together as well as it did when I just slipped it on without the 1 tooth adjustment. In trying to put it on one tooth forward I had pushed the sprocket the opposite direction, counter clockwise. I needed to get the cam back into position, but it was difficult to move, when I pushed it and it finally did shift back clockwise, the cam shot forward like 30 degrees, and is now totally misaligned with the other marks. Can't rotate it counter clockwise back the way it was, as it is pretty difficult, and I didn't want to force it, not knowing if it might damage something.

My question is how do I reset the intake came sprocket, alone, back to its marked position? Should I just keep rotating one full rotation clockwise until it falls back into place? or should I attempt to push it back counterclockwise? Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts