Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys my dad has a 2001 Hyundai Elantra. He replaced the whole exhaust system and gaskets and after he did that it wouldn’t start easy. He then relaplaced the fuel pump assembly and it still won’t stsrt easy. After it started it idled rough for a minute. Then if you shut it off and turn it back on it was fine unless you let it sit a few minutes. After turning it over many times it will finally start. Any suggestions?

·
Banned
7,041 Posts
Hi Guys my dad has a 2001 Hyundai Elantra. He replaced the whole exhaust system and gaskets

Manifold back?

and after he did that it wouldn’t start easy.

Explain.

He then relaplaced the fuel pump assembly and it still won’t stsrt easy.

What fuel pump went in?

After it started it idled rough for a minute. Then if you shut it off and turn it back on it was fine unless you let it sit a few minutes. After turning it over many times it will finally start. Any suggestions?
Fuel pressure test. Any codes?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes he replaced from the manifold back including gaskets. After he replaced the exhaust is when it started not starting easy. They then replaced the fuel pump (not sure why). It still wouldn’t start after that was replaced. It was actually starting harder after the fuel pump was replaced but may have just been a coincidence. He don’t have any engines lights on to check for codes. And I don’t know how to check for fuel pressure.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,269 Posts
How does the car drive once it has starter?

Since everything was OK until the exhaust work was done, I'd suggest you check to see if there is a restriction in the exhaust system that is preventing the engine from breathing properly. You could try removing the O2 sensor that is upstream of the cat to see if that makes the engine easier to start. If there is a restriction in the exhaust removing the upstream sensor gives the exhaust gas an escape route which allows the engine to breath. If that helps you'll need to check the exhaust installation. Perhaps the catalytic converter is blocked/plugged.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will have him check that he did replace the car with a new one and he did the exhaust. He put a new muffler and car on it along with all the piping. He said it runs ok until you kick it into the passing gear then it dies out. Put normal driving and idling is ok after it starts.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,574 Posts
I will have him check that he did replace the car with a new one and he did the exhaust. He put a new muffler and car on it along with all the piping. He said it runs ok until you kick it into the passing gear then it dies out. Put normal driving and idling is ok after it starts.
Replacing the exhausrt should not have had any effect on the engine starting.
However, during this process, could it be possible he pinched the fuel line?

He also said he put a new o2 sensor on it. He said it only had one and he replaced that
The exhaust actually has two O2 sensors.
One right after the first cat and the second after the second cat.

I have replaced both on my 2001 Elantra.

Onto the issue of non or hard starting ...
Try turning the key to on position then off several times to prime fuel rail
Then start engine. Does it easily start?
If yes then fuel issue.
Could also try spraying starter fluid into the intake to see if it starts easy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He also has I believe the model is a gls. Not sure if that matters but I’m pretty sure it only has one cat also.

·
Banned
7,041 Posts
avisitor;5809891 The exhaust actually has two O2 sensors. One right after the first cat and the second after the second cat. [/QUOTE said:
I think you mean one in front of any/all cats and one after rear cat. I'm not familiar with how this fuel system works but the logic is the same across the board. First sensor gets untreated gases from manifold and one after final treatment for catalyst monitoring.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,574 Posts
Not necessarily.

Really?
The O2 sensor upstream does appear to be in front of the cat
And the down stream is after the cat.
But, yeah, on my 2001 Elantra, it has two O2 sensors.

This guy's issue is that it won't start or is hard start
May be a fuel line was pinched??
Or the fuel pump is failing.

I suggest trying to start with starter fluid to see if it really is a fuel issue.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,574 Posts
So, fuel issue??
Now it would be really helpful if there was a Schrader valve to hook up a fuel pressure gauge.
To see if it holds pressure or not.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,269 Posts
But, yeah, on my 2001 Elantra, it has two O2 sensors.
Yours has two because you live in the USA and the emissions regulations in the US require two sensors. The emissions regulations of other countries are different and sometimes a downstream O2 sensor isn't required.

avisitor said:
Now it would be really helpful if there was a Schrader valve to hook up a fuel pressure gauge.
Yeah, that would be really helpful. I'm surprised you aren't aware by now that Hyundai engines don't have one though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
He is going to look at it today and hopefully this weekend I can make it over to help him. He did order a new fuel pump assembly with a sending unit

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,574 Posts
Yours has two because you live in the USA and the emissions regulations in the US require two sensors. The emissions regulations of other countries are different and sometimes a downstream O2 sensor isn't required.
Yeah, but, I can only go with what I have in front of me.

Yeah, that would be really helpful. I'm surprised you aren't aware by now that Hyundai engines don't have one though.
I am aware that there is no Schrader valve. That is why I said that it would be helpful if there was a Schrader valve to hook up a fuel pressure gauge.

I am guessing that English is not always the same when spoken in different countries
Much like the cars have different number of O2 sensors ... lol.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts