Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there guys,

My wife drives a 2001 Hyundai Elantra and she's been having this minor oil leak for the past 6-12 months that's driving me crazy. Always having to lay down cardboard in the garage so oil doesn't stain the concrete.

Anyways, before the oil leak, her father over torqued the drain plug because he ended up stripping it before then. So I just want to replace the pan, fix the leak, and not have to worry about the drain plug each time I change the oil.

I ordered this oil pan: Google search: 2001 Hyundai Elantra Spectra Premium/Oil Pan
(Sorry, can't post links unfortunately)

But when I went underneath to take off the oil pan, I noticed this style:
Google Search: Dorman Oil Pan 264-605

Will the style I bought still work? What does the pan bolt on to? I'm just confused between the two.

If someone could explain the difference I'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
WAG, the factory pan is aluminum and has heat disapation fins.

The after market dorman is stamped steel with no fins.

Should be interchangeable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If the only problem is a stripped drain plug hole, you can repair that with a kit. I have done that and the kit is a pet **** so draining it is a piece of cake.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
14x1.50 Heli-Coil kit take care of the stripped drain plug hole in the aluminum pan.

Go to Hyundai delaer and get the "long" drain plug if you not have it already... then torque to no more than 35 lb-ft when installing drain plug with the aluminum washer.

I have a couple here that I keep thinking I could install coil, then have cleaned up and powder coat or anodize some pretty color, but who really want pretty colored oil pan on beater Elantra/Tiburon with 4 cylinder

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
After you repair it you may wish to try a drain valve and never deal with drain plugs again. No washers, no striped plugs and less mess

1 - 5 of 5 Posts