Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Elantra, get great milage and love this car! BUT...in the past month, she has seemed to slip-shift as I slow down from like 30mph to 20. The tach also begins to rev up to over 3, when it is usually just under 2, no matter what I do. It also has the same glitch when I accelerate. The check engine light comes on when the slip-shift goes on, but it is very inconcistant. The light is on one time and the car acts up a bit, then other times it is out and she drives like she always has, which is GREAT! I love this car!

Took her to an AutoZone to check the brain, and it (they) said that the output speed sensor was either- loose connection, a short, or the sensor itself is bad. She only has 108K on her, so I really didn't think that the transmission would be going out so soon. I drive her very carefully and keep a check on fluids and such all the time. The transmission fluid is at its full level.

What I am wondering is, can I change this output speed sensor myself, and where it is located...and should I go ahead an spurlge on draining the trans-fluid; just not sure if this has one of those transmissions with a filter or not.
Hyundai dealership told me that the sensor was like $100, and that is was near the fender well and outside the transmission, and that it would only take an hour or so to set her to rights. The also said that they would have to clear the codes before it would run right after they replaced the sensor. I am looking at like $200 or so, and while that isn't a lot to spend really, my budget-sense says I can do this myself at a much better cost.
What do ya reckon? I am open to suggestions.
Thanks in advance,
MJ

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Mimi:

You do not have a transmission problem. The same thing happened to my 01 Elantra a while back, and I thought I'd have to replace the transmission. But it IS the speed sensor. It is easy to replace by yourself. Cost is about $60-$70 for the part. It is located on top of the transmission housing, underneath your air cleaner box. You'll have to remove the air cleaner box first, and then you'll see the plug that goes into the sensor right underneath the box area. I'd suggest buying the sensor first, and looking at it ahead of time, so you know for sure that you are taking out the right part.....but it is easy to find.
Undo the plug, unscrew the sensor (one bolt or screw if I remember), install the new sensor, plug it in, put the air cleaner box back on. Easy! I think I spent no more than 15 minutes on the job. You just saved youself $100 in labor charges, maybe more ...because Hyundai would insist on charging you for reading your check-engine light code, too.
I talked to the Hyundai parts man about why this happens. His words, "Hyundai uses cheap magnets in their sensors." The magnet is located in that plastic circle part of the sensor that sets into the hole in the transmission housing.
When I installed mine, I found the technical service bulletin for this on-line.....or better yet, when you buy your part, ask one of the service reps to look up the service bulletin for the output speed sesnor for you and print it out for you. It will review essentially what I wrote above.
Hope this helps. What a relief that it was not the transmission itself!

Tom in Omaha, NE

·
Registered
17,553 Posts
Output shaft speed sensor -- unplug connector from sensor, remove bolt holding sensor to trans case, remove old output shaft speed sensor..

Install new output shaft speed sensor to trans, re-install bolt, install connector.

Clear codes, reset adaptive learn, learn process will start when ATF reach approx 125 degree.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What's the difference between the output and input sensor?

I am having similar issues with my transmission revving high between 2nd and 3rd gear at random times. It's not consistent and no check engine light comes on.

And I have a 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT with 105k miles.

·
Registered
17,553 Posts
What's the difference between the output and input sensor?
Input - monitors input shaft rotation speed

Output - monitors output shaft rotation speed

We input both these to TCM for use in logic of slipping auto trans knowing what each ratio is supposed to be and shaft speeds.. a shift that takes beyond 2 second I think it is can be determined as an incorrect ratio, along with slipping, as TCM knows in it program what the individual gear ratio is for each speed, and knows what gear it is in, and if the numbers is correct for speed sensor values..

I am having similar issues with my transmission revving high between 2nd and 3rd gear at random times.
2-3 shift flare,,, take and reset the adaptive values for A/T.. have the car good and hot (ATF ol temp).... then reset, then start engine, and shift between P-R-D an number of times, waiting few seconds before shift again..

Now drive off at no more than 25% throttle (hard to do with out scan tool data, but we can fudge this value... drive away with just enough pedal to effect shift up to next gear.. then slow down to stop.. do this a few times till shifting fells good, then drive in more normal fashion and see how it act as you carry on into the future.

It's not consistent and no check engine light comes on.

And I have a 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT with 105k miles.
Look into these updates for hidden jibberish that may help your concerns -

57.XD 2.0 CVVT 1->2 SHIFT FEEL

63.XD 2.0 TCU REVERSE INCORRECT RATIO

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Real common problem. I don't know why, but I always hear of both input and output sensors being replaced at the same time. Same sensors go in a myriad of cars. Best bet for price is input/output kit from Fourgreen for OEM parts:

Input Output Speed Sensor for 01-07 Elantra OEM 2pcs | eBay

Sensors are located on the top of the trans and can be removed and replaced by just about anyone with enough determination.

Once new sensors are installed, you can reset the computer by removing the negative battery cable for a minute or so.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Real common problem. I don't know why, but I always hear of both input and output sensors being replaced at the same time. Same sensors go in a myriad of cars. Best bet for price is input/output kit from Fourgreen for OEM parts:

Input Output Speed Sensor for 01-07 Elantra OEM 2pcs | eBay

Sensors are located on the top of the trans and can be removed and replaced by just about anyone with enough determination.

Once new sensors are installed, you can reset the computer by removing the negative battery cable for a minute or so.
theres a complete post with fab pics already on the forum
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/180-xd-2001-2006-elantra/76216-repair-dtc-p0715-p1529-2001-elantra-gt.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the help, both pieces ordered from Four Greens (exact fit) and directions followed from Brett777.

It's only been a day but my wife says so far so good. She already feels the difference in the shifting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Output shaft speed sensor -- unplug connector from sensor, remove bolt holding sensor to trans case, remove old output shaft speed sensor..

Install new output shaft speed sensor to trans, re-install bolt, install connector.

Clear codes, reset adaptive learn, learn process will start when ATF reach approx 125 degree.
hi! im having same issue. how do you reset the adaptive learn?

·
Registered
17,553 Posts
hi! im having same issue. how do you reset the adaptive learn?
<---- I will assume we talking about 2006 Elantra... To reset the adaptive learn, you need to use the Hyundai Hi-Scan or Hyundai GDS to do the reset. Best to do it hot, then follow with the start learn procees right after while ATF good-n-hot...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Input/Output Speed Sensor??

I have a 2001 Elantra with 60,000 miles. I just bought it 2 months ago. I am having issues where it gets stuck in 2nd gear and won't shift until I stop, shut off, and restart. Lately, it hasn't been helping that much. I just wanted to make sure this was the speed sensors before I buy the 2 parts. My husband and I have looked online for people have similar problems, I see its very common, but with a bit higher miles. If anyone has any info please post back. LOL, so not a car person...thank goodness for a good man and the internet.

·
Registered
17,553 Posts
I have a 2001 Elantra with 60,000 miles. I just bought it 2 months ago. I am having issues where it gets stuck in 2nd gear and won't shift until I stop, shut off, and restart.

Scan it and see what code(s) might be hiding in there to see what/if any that TCM see to be at fault.. just tossing parts can get $$$, and maybe compound problem you started with...

·
Registered
2 Posts
repost

Scan it and see what code(s) might be hiding in there to see what/if any that TCM see to be at fault.. just tossing parts can get $$$, and maybe compound problem you started with...

I have had it scanned and it says the output sensor. I had it scanned a few weeks ago. Since it is that is more sensible to replace both the input and output??

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had it scanned and it says the output sensor. I had it scanned a few weeks ago. Since it is that is more sensible to replace both the input and output??
I found fourgreen on ebay selling a "bundle" of both the input and output sensors for $20-$30 less than buying the two individually. Shipped fast too. I recommend doing both at the same time, just in case. It was about $65 for mine, I think. Took about 40 minutes but I tinkered a bit too.

You'll really want an extension for your ratchet. This is a great guide - http://www.hyundai-forums.com/180-xd-2001-2006-elantra/76216-repair-dtc-p0715-p1529-2001-elantra-gt.html

The output sensor is straight back from the input sensor in the pic, about 8 inches or so, on my '01 Elantra.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Will the dealer replace these under warranty my moms car does this with under 90k miles. Her car has the jerk into third when warm but it also jerks on a tight left turn at slow speeds once warmed up. Input and output sensors make sense cause it acts like the tcs is activating but it also does it with tcs turned off also.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Will the dealer replace these under warranty my moms car does this with under 90k miles. Her car has the jerk into third when warm but it also jerks on a tight left turn at slow speeds once warmed up. Input and output sensors make sense cause it acts like the tcs is activating but it also does it with tcs turned off also.
If your mom is the original owner, then they should repair it under warranty. As to what exactly is wrong with it, you'd have to let them determine that.

·
Registered
17,553 Posts
Electrical parts for auto trans control is 5yr/60,000 parts.. trans defect which reqiure auto trans replacement be warranty to original owner to 10yr/100,000 mile

1 - 19 of 23 Posts