Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car needs a cat. Its the front one but the price of it has me looking at other options. Just curious if there are any other options out there?

Also I have been thinking of a header, but my question with that is what kind to get and how does the engine work properly with the front cat removed?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
In reality, the Hyundai exhaust manifold/catalyst is rather inexpensive to purchase, and is typically an on the shelf item due to the VO4 campaign...

If it cracked manifold, visit dealer service aisle with your VIN, good possibility you may have open VO4 recall and get FREE manifold, still seeing them to this day, some 6yr after the fact, along with a host of other open recalls that pushing 4-6yr old on the Elantra..

As noted by other fella in regards to the header, usually no provision for B1S1 Ox, missing catalyst, and no provision for B1S2 Ox for catalyst efficiency, so MIL be iluminated, wont pass SMOG inspect..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm pretty sure I need the cat becuase of the 0422 code. But this is after I had a coil pack go bad. The light came on shortly after I replaced that. then I replaced the first o2 sensor. and the code came back up. I did have my car into the dealer for the airbag recall and they checked the manifold. Said it wasnt cracked. Guess I'm taking their word for it.

The first catalytic converter I found for it was 739 dollars. Kinda freaked me out. but after looking more I found some in the 375 dollar range. More reasonable in my opinion. I was hoping to be able to get a universal and welding it in. but that was before I noticed the thing was cast. My wife didnt really like the header idea. Since its really her car, she kinda gets the say.

SO tell me, is Catco a good brand for the cat? I dont want something thats crap.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
I wouldn't be so quick to buy a cat. Your car had a problem with the manifold cracking, which would cause your code. Also, it could be a bad O2 sensor. The way to check your cat is to remove it and look inside. You can see the catalyst material inside and gauge the relative condition. If your car has a manifold crack, it might still be covered under a recall which would be free.

Call the dealer and tell them you suspect you have a cracked manifold, and is it still covered under recall and see what they say. You could at least get them to tell you what wrong.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts