Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I need help with my 2001 1.5 Accent. It has not been starting consistantly for the last few weeks. Ive had to use the jump box on it a few times and that worked.

The other day (cold day!) it died at the stoplight after driving for about 20 mins. It made a grinding crunch sound from under the hood as it died. After several attempts on jump box it fired up and ran again for about 15 seconds and died and made sound again.

This repeated itself a few times before I got it towed home.

I removed alternator and it tested good (PASS) at two parts stores...testing 3 times each.

Battery has about 14 volts at the posts without having charged it after event.

What would cause the car to die and make the awful sound? And why would it appear to need a jumpstart?

I was thinking alternator but.....

Please help and thank you!

Rick

·
Registered
622 Posts
Hello,

I need help with my 2001 1.5 Accent. It has not been starting consistantly for the last few weeks. Ive had to use the jump box on it a few times and that worked.

The other day (cold day!) it died at the stoplight after driving for about 20 mins. It made a grinding crunch sound from under the hood as it died. After several attempts on jump box it fired up and ran again for about 15 seconds and died and made sound again.

This repeated itself a few times before I got it towed home.

I removed alternator and it tested good (PASS) at two parts stores...testing 3 times each.

Battery has about 14 volts at the posts without having charged it after event.

What would cause the car to die and make the awful sound? And why would it appear to need a jumpstart?

I was thinking alternator but.....

Please help and thank you!

Rick
Do you have any codes stored? Noise could be anything, but the crank sensor is a pretty common problem with cutting off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I reinstalled the alternator and cranked her up. Same result...noise as she quit. I turned the fan (heater) off and cranked her up again....EUREKA! She stayed running just fine.....moments after I turned fan back on...she moaned n died.

Now what? As long as fan aint blowin...she is driveable. I shall research now...but please do pitch in some thoughts y'all.

No codes btw.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I figured out how to adjust tensioner. There is a bolt next to the tensioner that when loosened will create slack in the belt. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Replaced battery as it was no good. Apparently I had more than one problem. :)
I still havn't taken a/c pulley off...just running with fan off for now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is correct jrc. It is hard for me to believe that a belt stopped the engine from running instead of breaking the belt. But that appears to be the case.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts