1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 Accent
1.5L Automatic with OD
263,000 km
Transmission goes into Fail Safe Mode but the CEL does not light up and code reader shows no codes. Shifts fine in town,1-2-3-4...4-3-2-1, but on highway when going up inclines (steep), transmission downshifts from Overdrive into 3rd,as i press the accelerator it will downshift into 2nd (as normal), until i reach the top of the incline (3500-4000 rpm) but then as the car levels out on the highway, it will shift back and forth between overdrive and 3rd, (jerky shifting) then finally goes into Fail safe mode, 3000 rpm at 80-90 km/h.
Once I shut the car off for a few minutes, the transmission is fine and shifts normally. Fluid levels are good.
Any thoughts as to why the CEL is not giving code?

·
Registered
106 Posts
no solution

I don't have an answer, but I do highly recommend reading the sticky thread on transmissions if you haven't yet. It certainly sounds like it could possibly be the overdrive bearing failing, although why you are getting no codes is a bit of a mystery.

Meanwhile, I would suggest locking out the overdrive with the button on the shifter until such time as you resolve this. If it is the bearing coming apart, you don't need to be engaging the overdrive.

Hopefully those with MUCH more knowledge than I will be chiming in soon.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts