Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Accent with a 1.5L in it. I bought it used with 103000 miles on it a few months ago. I starts and runs fine except for one exception. When the tank gets less than 3/4 of a tank the engine acts like it's starving for fuel. It won't run at anything above slight throttle. It acts like it's out of gas but it's not. If I fuel it up it will run fine until the tank gets low again. Now for the other issue. It takes for ever to put gas in the tank. I have to put the gas in the tank slow or the nozzle will kick out. I does this until I finally get the tank full. Any ideas what is causing these issues?

Thanks

·
Banned
7,038 Posts
I have a 2001 Accent with a 1.5L in it. I bought it used with 103000 miles on it a few months ago. I starts and runs fine except for one exception. When the tank gets less than 3/4 of a tank the engine acts like it's starving for fuel. It won't run at anything above slight throttle. It acts like it's out of gas but it's not. If I fuel it up it will run fine until the tank gets low again. Now for the other issue. It takes for ever to put gas in the tank. I have to put the gas in the tank slow or the nozzle will kick out. I does this until I finally get the tank full. Any ideas what is causing these issues?

Thanks
Your evap canister need to be replaced. All lines need to be blown out with air and you may need to get a new purge and or vent valve.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,601 Posts
The air must flow out of the gas tank in order for the gasoline to flow into the gas tank
If the vent valve (sometimes called the canister valve) is stuck closed or if the charcoal canister is clogged
Then air will not flow in or out of the gas tank.
So when the gas tank is less than full then it starts to create a vacuum in the gas tank
And prevent the gas from going to where it is needed (even with a fuel pump)
Re-filling is similar. No air can get out so gas can't go in. It creates a higher pressure in the gas tank.

I am just wondering why the Evap emissions system was not flagged by the Mal-function Indicator Light or check engine light??

Anyway, the tests are to see if vent valve is stuck closed or charcoal canister is clogged
This requires removing and bench testing???
Or if you like wasting money then go and replace both and hope for the best outcome.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for everyone's replies. I am in the US and no it has never set a code or check engine light. I know where the canister is located. Where are the purge and vent valves located? Is the vent valve located near the canister and the purge valve mounted to the intake manifold? The valves shouldn't be to hard to test they are just like solenoid valves.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,589 Posts
Is the vent valve located near the canister and the purge valve mounted to the intake manifold?
Yes.

madman75 said:
The valves shouldn't be to hard to test they are just like solenoid valves.
Correct.
The purge valve should be normally closed and I believe the vent valve should be normally open...although I'm not 100% sure since European cars don't have a vent valve. That's a USA thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Both valves are fine. I removed the canister and a bunch of round black beads came out of it. I don't think the black beads should be falling out. Can I just dump them out and put it back in?

·
Banned
7,038 Posts
Both valves are fine. I removed the canister and a bunch of round black beads came out of it. I don't think the black beads should be falling out. Can I just dump them out and put it back in?
You'll want to blow them out of all the hoses. Loose beads will create problems.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,601 Posts
The black beads are charcoal.
They absorb the gas vapors when filling the gas tank.
And releases the vapors when the engine is running at higher gas demands.
It is usually not recommended to dump the charcoal.
Did you use an air hose to see if air flows through it?
If air flows then the hose from charcoal canister to gas tank may be clogged.

How did you check that the valves are fine?
Do you have a good scanner to control the Evap system?
Just wondering

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The vent valve was full of beads. Once I cleaned the beads out and blew air thru the valve it worked fine. I used a voltage to activate the valve. The valve would barely vent until I got all the beads out. The line to the purge valve was fine. I blew the line for the purge valve out and got very little amount of beads out of it. I did some searching and found that the charcoal should be contained and not loose. As I was dumping out the beads I saw what looked like light foam or cloth. I think this held the beads. From what I read this "membrane" breaks down and lets the charcoal become loose which clogs things up. I didn't find any beads in the line from the tank to the canister.
These valves are just electrically controlled. A 12v battery hooked up will actuate them. Pretty simple.
I'm going to see if I can get a used canister from a local junk yard.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Vapor Canister and loose/errant cahrcoal beads are a persistent problem. The "Official Remedy" is to replace the Evap canister as the errant beads will just migrate back to the Tank vent Valve (which bu the way is actually located ion the top of the fuel tank).
There is a "Fix" for the errant bead issue..
Take the faulty Cannister out of the vehicle. Put it on the work benbch in a well ventilated space and remove the end of the canister (you will have to carefully cut it off). Then, you remove the bad/degrated baffle assembly and pour all the granules into an old coffee can - or what ebver will hold them. Then you need to find a fine staniless steel mesh to replace the paper part of the baffle. I use a large food strainer as the donor part for this). Then find a suitable foam that is gasoline resistant for the foam part., Now, put the charcoal beads back in, and glue with 2-art fuel reistant epaoxy in place so the beads are retained in their part of the cannister. Re attafch the end you carefully cust off and reseal with epoxy. Re mount the cannister.
Now you will never have to worry about errant charcoal beads in you vent lines again.
By the way this whole problem s caused by over filling the fuel tank when you fill up with gas. Everyone like to put a little extra gas in, and when the fuel nozzle kicks off while filling the tank, the tendency is to try and out tyhat extra 5 or 10 cenbts worth of gas in. That "Extra" gas, is the gas that over flows and goes into the =Evap Cannister via the vent loines. This gas dissolves the paper baffle, and also degrades the foam. Te result is errant beads getting sucjked into the fuel inlet velt and tank vent durring the Vacuum purge cycle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts