Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was running ok. Removed heads. Machine shop pressure test and surface. Reinstalled with new gasket set. Now no fuel, no spark, no start. Fuel at rail. Injector plugs read 24 volts. Injectors read 14 ohms. Camshaft sensor reads 10 volts. 160 psi all cylinders compression. Timing marks lined up. Knock sensors plugged up or unplugged (no change). Camshaft sensor plugged up or unplugged (no change). Any ideas at all would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
13,401 Posts
Sorry, I've no idea how you managed to get 24V out of a single 12V battery. It must be a xmas miracle :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will check tomorrow after Christmas. Thanks for your response. Would it be a good idea to check trouble codes?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bought a code scanner from harbor freight today for $35.00 and could only get 'Link Error' reading out if it after 10 attempts. Will try to take it back for another one tomorrow, will reply again tomorrow with new results

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Centech scanner works on my 2002 Toyota Avalon, but continues to read 'Link Error' on 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.7. I've also noticed that my tachometer is not working when I'm cranking? Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
13,401 Posts
Any thoughts on this?
It sounds to me like there is some sort of power supply problem with the engine ECU. If it isn't being powered up it can't communicate with the scan tool, or make the engine run.

Switch the ignition on then probe the ECU fuses on the engine bay fusebox with your voltmeter to see if they are being supplied with 12V (and that none of them are blown). I think there are four ECU fuses on your car.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There are 5 looks like and the 10 amp fuse is blown. Took a reading on the 40 amp location and it read 25.2 volts?

·
Registered
6,080 Posts
There's a good reason for him to ask about your prowess with a dvm. You have a 12 volt system and you are reading 25.2 volts. That should have made you stop and think.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When I get back in town tomorrow, I will take photos of dmm and connections I am testing if I have enough time. If not I will do that asap.

·
Registered
6,080 Posts
What do you make of the 10 amp ecu fuse being blown? Thanks for your input.
I imagine something caused excessive current flow through the circuit and blew the fuse. Unless you can predict the future that's all you can do.

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
Blown fuse usually means something is shorted
Would take a look at the wiring
See if any part of the harness is rubbing against metal or exhaust or just rubbing
Bent pins.

Would replace the fuse and if it blows again then troubleshoot

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ecu3 fuse in engine block reads on only one pin, the other two 20 amp pins for ecu read on both pins. Wiring diagram for ecu3 shows joint connector c33 and camshaft sensor in circuit with ecu3 fuse. Unable to locate joint connector c33. AutoZone repair guides show it behind engine fuse block on a 2005 2.7, but it is not there on 2001 2.7 I'm working on. Also, camshaft sensor connector reads 10 volts on center pin and 0 on other two pins left and right of center. Cranshaft sensor connector reads the same as camshaft sensor, so I assume camshaft sensor connector is good. Wiring diagram for ecu3 shows camshaft sensor and joint connector c33 in circuit. Any ideas or comments are greatly appreciated and yes I was getting a bad reading at 24 volts.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts