Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:angry2: I recently purchased a 2001 diesel Santa Fe for towing my caravan. The clutch slips on hill starts. The previous owner has confirmed that the car has had 3 replacement clutches since new. Does anyone know of any cure for this premature clutch failure? My local Hyundai dealer is not being very helpful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In my case the clutch needs replacing approx every 10,000 miles which I consider to be excessive.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Something must be wrong. I have always got at least 80,000 mile from a clutch on any vehical I have owned. My last ford truck went 125,000 on its first clutch, then the second clutch had over 100,000 on it when I sold the truck. I now went with a auto on my hyundai. I am starting to think I should of went Toyota now with all I am reading on the Hyundai forums. I'll wait a bit and see how the Santa Fe works out, and maybe just get rid of it soon for a Yota 4 runner. It is starting to seem hyundais may be junk?? So far I do like my 2005 Santa Fe, but it has only 3500 miles. :wacko: :wacko:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too have a 2003 Santa Fe 2.0L CRDI with 81,000 miles. I have tested others and all have the same clutch slip type problem when overtaking in 3rd or 4th gear.
I am now of the opinion that it may be a problem with the viscous coupling and not the clutch as I have no problem on hills or low RPM.
Does anyone know if this could be the case? Can the viscous coupling slip if low on oil or if the oil was not changed out when it should have been???
I love my SF but if it is going to cost me money then its history.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The 2lt Diesel had a dual mass flywheel, which is basically a silicon based substance inside a sealed flywheel. As the car gets older, this leaks out onto the clutch plate. A new clutch will cure it for a while, but ultimately you need to replace the flywheel. There is a single mass (solid) flywheel conversion kit available (I got mine through my local motor factors) :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts