Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have been searching on here for some time and see the same issue but without a solution for mine. I have a 2000 Tiburon and I am getting the P0501 and the P0734 codes. I did do the end clutch fix to solve the P0734. The P0501 codes relates to the speed sensor. I seen on here people talk about the reed switch, but I don't have the reed switch. I don't have the cable driven speedometer, it is electronic. I also see about the speed sensor on the passenger side hub, but I don't have a sensor there either. My speedometer does work, but the OBD2 scan tool isn't showing any speed. I have 12 volts on the blue wire at the VSS, I have ground continuity at the black wire at the VSS. The black wire with the yellow stripe, besides the speedometer, does it also go to the ECM or TCM. I am totally stumped and can't get this thing through inspection.

Eddie

·
Registered
622 Posts
Hello All,

I have been searching on here for some time and see the same issue but without a solution for mine. I have a 2000 Tiburon and I am getting the P0501 and the P0734 codes. I did do the end clutch fix to solve the P0734. The P0501 codes relates to the speed sensor. I seen on here people talk about the reed switch, but I don't have the reed switch. I don't have the cable driven speedometer, it is electronic. I also see about the speed sensor on the passenger side hub, but I don't have a sensor there either. My speedometer does work, but the OBD2 scan tool isn't showing any speed. I have 12 volts on the blue wire at the VSS, I have ground continuity at the black wire at the VSS. The black wire with the yellow stripe, besides the speedometer, does it also go to the ECM or TCM. I am totally stumped and can't get this thing through inspection.

Eddie
Pull out the VSS and see if the plastic gear is worn. If it's worn it'll look kinda like when you eat an apple, or an hour glass shape. If so, replace it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If that plastic gear is worn then where does the speedometer get its signal from, because mine works? Pulse Generators?

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
You don't have a passenger speed sensor on the right spindle, but maybe you should. My 2001 had a p501 code and I had to replace that sensor, no abs and a standard tranny.

Look closely to see if part of the wire harness is still there in the wheel well.

It may use the transmission mounted plastic wheel and a magnetic feed back type sensor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You don't have a passenger speed sensor on the right spindle, but maybe you should. My 2001 had a p501 code and I had to replace that sensor, no abs and a standard tranny.

Look closely to see if part of the wire harness is still there in the wheel well.

It may use the transmission mounted plastic wheel and a magnetic feed back type sensor.
Thanks for your solutions dude :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts