Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having multiple problems with my 2000 Hyundai Sonata V6. If you know what could be causing any of them, please let me know.

Delayed, Rough Start (Possible fuel pressure regulator??)
Rough Idle (feels like it's jumping forward)
Headlights do not work, but brights do.
HORRIBLE GAS MILEAGE (around 15 mpg)
When I take off after a rough start, the car takes off then rpms drop very low.

Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine used to rough idle (Jumpy) and i replaced the TPS and Nuetural safety switch and did a tune up. I also have to frequently replace the air filter or it dies in reverse all the time. These fixed my jumpy problems and rough idle. Doing so will help with your fuel mileage as well as replacing the fuel filter.

·
Registered
17 Posts
From personal experience:

Delayed, Rough Start - MAF sensor
Rough Idle - MAF sensor, Idle Air Control Valve (IAC valve)

Possible fixes: Disconnect the MAF sensor and see if it makes a difference, pull out and clean the IAC valve, spray some Throttle body cleaner on the throttle valve, change the air filter if its dirty.

If you are suspecting a faulty fuel pressure regulator: start the car and take out the little tube that is attached to it, wait a few minutes and see if it drips or even smells of gas. If it does, replace the part.

Has the car been serviced regularly?
Have you changed the fuel filter?

From the Chilton manual - timing belt, spark plugs, dirty or clogged air filter, faulty fuel pump, clogged fuel filter, low tire pressure.

Check the fuel pressure with a tool if you can to rule out any fuel related issues. The rough start and acceleration could be caused by an air leak. After you do everything else that I've described above do a compression test.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Info sounds good, BUT the original post was last August!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts