Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The headlights and Interior lights will get really bright while driving and then go back to normal, it does this a lot. And now the check engine light is coming on. Would love to know what the problem may be.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,851 Posts
Originally posted by lumpy18@Dec 2 2004, 05:17 PM
The headlights and Interior lights will get really bright while driving and then go back to normal, it does this a lot.  And now the check engine light is coming on.  Would love to know what the problem may be.
[snapback]3249[/snapback]​



have the charge system tested, it sounds like the alternator is intermittently overcharging slightly. Is the SRS light on as well ???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
422 Posts
I reckon Duke is spot on the money here, that would have been the first thing I would have said if Duke didn't beat me to it.

The voltage regulators have a tendency to under or overcharge!

How old is the battery, batteries usually have a warranty period of 12 months!
So even if the voltage regulator is faulty and is covered under warranty, the battery may not be if it is out of it's 12 month warranty cover period!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by duke@Dec 3 2004, 08:53 AM
have the charge system tested, it sounds like the alternator is intermittently overcharging slightly. Is the SRS light on as well ???
[snapback]3266[/snapback]​


Thanks for the response, there are no other lights on except the check engine light, and it only comes on occasionally. I took the car to O'Reily's auto parts and had them test the battery and alternator with there handheld tester, and they said they both checked out fine. So I changed the terminal ends. The battery is the original battery, and has almost 98,000 miles on it, but the parts store said it was ok. Do you think it could be the battery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,851 Posts
Originally posted by lumpy18@Dec 3 2004, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the response, there are no other lights on except the check engine light, and it only comes on occasionally.  I took the car to O'Reily's auto parts and had them test the battery and alternator with there handheld tester, and they said they both checked out fine.  So I changed the terminal ends.  The battery is the original battery, and has almost 98,000 miles on it, but the parts store said it was ok.  Do you think it could be the battery.
[snapback]3280[/snapback]​



since the CEL was on, there most likely may be a code stored in the ECM memory. Best is to have a HYUNDAI tech scan the ECM. You don't want to wait till the system overcharge too much for a longer periode. I had one case, were the alt. charged 87 volt. needles to say, it blew EVERYTING, which was operating/switched on at the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by duke@Dec 3 2004, 02:36 PM
since the CEL was on, there most likely may be a code stored in the ECM memory. Best is to have a HYUNDAI tech scan the ECM. You don't want to wait till the system overcharge too much for a longer periode. I had one case, were the alt. charged 87 volt. needles to say, it blew EVERYTING, which was operating/switched on at the time.
[snapback]3281[/snapback]​


I'll do that, thanks for the info Duke.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
422 Posts
Yes, I would have the vehicle checked for codes aswell, whilst you are there have the technicians carry out a battery test with the proper battery tester.

Hyundai's are sold with calcium cell batteries insted of lead cell batteries.
Your average tester will not suffice for the tests you required to be carried out.

I know this because we have a Hyundai Special Tool, which is the battery test unit, if this tool is used to test a lead cell battery, then it is off to be calibrated.
Our one is rooted because our boss is too gutless to tell the Toyota blokes to stop using it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took the car in to have it checked, it ended up being the voltage regulator, which of course is made into the alternator. I had the alternator rebuilt and the car ran fine after. I have since traded the car, and just purchased a new 2004 model Sonata. I love the car it seems to be great. Is there anything I need to know about the Sonata.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,851 Posts
The Sonata is a “dangerous” car, and the cops love it. Why dangerous you ask; because driving along doing the speed limit (you think), and then finally you look at the speedo and realize with horror that you are going WAAAYY over (I know, it happened to me in the beginning) the limit.
Jokes aside, I am in my 2nd Sonata (2000 V6), and won’t be my last one. My 1st one (1990 2.4 4-banger) did 436K km trouble free, but the road salt did havoc to the body.

Enjoy the ride
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top