Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am furious. My son recently purchased this 2000 Hyundai Sonata GLS but during a pre-inspection examination, the mechanic noticed that the subframe around the passenger side and drivers side were rotted with rust. Then I went online and found this recall and read about loads of people having problems. Then I spoke to the local Hyundai dealer and they said that my sons vehicle has to be registered in his name and have license plates before we bring the vehicle to them. I informed them that after speaking with my insurance agent it was advised that I don't register nor insure the vehicle until Hyundai inspect the subframe rust and either repair or replace. We have the title from the previous owner and also a bill of sale. Any advice?

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
I assume you bought the car "as is" with no warranty, so I would imagine your feel like your stuck with it. The dealer probably doesn't want to just fix it because they feel they don't make any money... i.e HMC won't pay enough hours to do the job right, thus they sold it to you BEFORE they fix it. I think the good news here is that it's an open recall and they will fix it, either they replace the subframe if there is enough meat left, or they drill drain holes and paint it with rust paint. Probably they will do the work ok, but if don't like them anymore, you can always take it to another dealer.

As far as the registration BEFORE you bring it in, well that's just one of those crappy details. Probably all things considered, I'd just register it and take it in, but then I'm in "peace-love, stress-reduction" mode. It's your call. Keep in mind that nobody got killed because of this problem, according to the NTSB.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
In all reality, you should be able to present the car to them for recall... where they will run into trouble is the car has no license plates, so they cannot test drive after repair to verify there is no problems.

They is likely trying to abide by law by not driving an unregistered-uninsured motor vehicle..

Work with them if you want your free $700 worth of subframe replacement and toe adjust at front..

The pics are the right side, note the right arm/sway bar link and arm to frame mounting as reference..

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts