Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving down the road the other day, stopped at a stop sign and went to move forward. My car sounded and felt a little bogged, as though I had misplaced the gear in third. I attempted to correct back to first, realizing that it was not a user error, and that my gear shifter was loose, and the car in third gear - as it continues to be. Clutch seems to work, as the car responded to the pressure and continued to move forward to a safe zone. Also, car does not die on start up as long as clutch is engaged.

Checked the linkage, and slaves, no obstructions or breakage noticed. Gear shifter moved as it should in all directions when tested on both ends leading to the shifter and the tranny. Checked TCU ECU fuse, and it looked a little burnt, so I replaced it. As soon as fuse was replaced and car started, the CE light came on. I know that I will need to get those codes, but I am wondering if the transmission in my car has failed, or if the CE light is indicating an electrical reason.

When a manual transmission in the Hyundai Accent goes into failsafe mode, is that indicative of a failed transmission, or just as it sounds: a failsafe mode to protect the transmission from damage until underlying repair can be made?

·
Registered
18 Posts
are we talking auto or standard??

Found out today my 2000 accent is in Fail save mode stuck in 3rd gear or 2nd if manually forced!
retrieve code and goto hmservice website check out the tranny check procedure. But you have to sign up, takes only a minute!
Sure helped me out.

I got code P0734 and have four issues to check, better than dumping $1500 in the drain od a Hyundai dealer! :banana:
As soon as it gets a lil' cooler i try to fix mine(horriblethoughtthough)
Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a standard... got the transmission, flywheel and clutch pulled out today. The clutch is definitely fried, the flywheel needs smoothed down, and a part that connects to the transmission and typically spins is locked to ****.

I'll update as it gets further along. With a little bit of luck, and lots of prayer, I hope my transmission is salvagable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts