Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Hyundai Accent GL. I just bought this car for my son & noticed that the car vibrates (and by car, I mean steering wheel & entire vehicle) while in park and also while in drive but at a stop.:eek: I took it for a drive and it drove very smooth. It shows no signs of needing any wheel alignments and the tires all look to be worn evenly and are about 75% worn I would guess. I ran quiet and did not vibrate any during the test drive, other than while at a stop. On my way home, I was on the freeway and I noticed as I approached speeds of 54 mph the vehicle started to vibrate again. When I accelerated to speeds of 56 mph, the vibration was very bad,:eek: so I decided it was best to take surface streets. It felt to me as if a tire was out of balance. I tried to determine what side of the vehicle the vibration was coming from, but could not appropriately determine that. Does anyone have any suggestions on what could be causing this problem? This is my 15 yr old sons first vehicle, so I want him to be in a safe car before he goes driving in January on his own. I appreciate any help :thumbsup:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Getting him the Hyundai was the first mistake lol. You will never get an Accent to not shake. Could be a blown belt, bent rim, warped rotors as far as the shaking while driving. For the shaking while stopped, the only thing my Hyundai did was misfire and it shook pretty bad until you revved the piss out of her.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
they're not that bad, stop trying to brush this one off. you're not helping anyone here.

its not the tires or suspension, already stated the car is vibrating at standstill. brakes, rims, etc. are out as well. i agree that there could be 2 different issues here, but let's tackle one problem at a time here. occam's razor and all that good stuff.

that leaves us with only a couple options:

- engine mounts. they're crap on these cars anyways. rubber detaches from the metal and can give a wicked vibe. normally you'd get vibrations at ALL speeds/rpm's but its easy to check these things. get under the car with a light.

- misfires are cerntianly on the table and missing at only idle would open the door for a second issue for the higher speed vibration. get a code scanner on it - don't care if the check engine light is on or not. what is it idling like?

- belts are not going to cause this, but should be checked regardless. if a belt was bad enough to cause vibrations at idle, you'd really know it at 54mph.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Mine never pulled a check engine light while misfiring for sure, but I think it would be something easy to diagnose. You can feel the power loss right off the bat and it just sounds ugly. by belts I meant tire steel belts. noticed that typo afterwards lol

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
ah now i see. at higher speeds, sure that's useful. i'd think it more likely to have thrown a balancing weight though...or just need a rebalance due to normal wear and tear.

my honest opinion is that the standstill and high speed vibrations are unrelated....but can't say that without knowing more, so for the sake of covering every possibility i like to assume that they are the same problem to start with. start with the idle vibe and then move on.

and yeah these cars aren't so great with throwing error codes when they should or even throwing the right one. i had misfires throwing the EVAP codes before the actual misfires...due to broken intake gasket and there was NO lean mixture code...dumb.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I would think the only thing that would cause vibration at a standstill would be the engine. If that's the case, open the hood and look at the motor. It might be flopping around in the engine bay. Then I would definitely suspect engine mounts. That's a weird one

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
I would think the only thing that would cause vibration at a standstill would be the engine.
my thoughts exactly. thats why my first stop was the mounts. however, just looking at the engine may not be enough - not to say its a bad idea. the mounts themselves need to be checked. it'll be obvious with some of the rubber pushing its way out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok well I took it in to a repair shop & found out the front passenger wheel was bent. So I went & got another wheel at a junk yard. Then I had the front 2 tires balanced. That completely took care of all the vibration at higher speeds. It still vibrates while atb a standstill. I checked to see if the engine looked to be jerking or jumping any while just at idle and also when stepping on the gas, but there was no noticible shift in the engine. I'm still going to check the motor mounts out though.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
easy check. if you're unsure, take a pic and post it. try pushing the rubber with your fingers. see if its detached from the donut mounts. mounts are definitely a known issue, but replacing them is both cheap and easy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts