Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cable

did you have the black plastic piece that I have covering the firewall that I have shown in picture that is not shown in the shop manual?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shifter

I don't want to break anything,i've tried prying it up but it wont move i pulled the carpet but don't see any screws,sorry i'm annoying you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
ah much better. now that i see what part we're talking about...my approach would be to remove more of the center console/dash to get at that easier. you don't really have enough room to work with....

also lift up the carpet a bit left and right sides see if you can get at fasteners. its been a while since i've done this job. don't worry about breaking anything so much, just don't be silly and muscle it and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all your help,cables should come tomorrow,still don't understand the site posts appearing and disappearing maybe its because Halloween is coming

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
seems the tubes are connected to the heater box so heat gets to the back seats.i have one out but the other is a bitch and doesn't want to move.even with them out there is going to be little room to get to the firewall. interesting the shop manual doesn't show the tubes or explain a little better where the 2 bolts are to remove the cables from the firewall

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
shifter

replaced cables nothing happened. still doesn't shift.what else to look at now (besides mechanic)

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
was there some reason you didn't check the cables before replacing them? its a pretty simple job to disconnect them from the trans and see if the shifter will make them slide....

why not try that now to see you installed them right?

maybe check the ends as well? another thought is there is a bracket behind the transmission that holds the neck of the cables so they don't flop around when trying to shift. i did forget that once and wondered why i couldn't shift into gear after replacing a clutch. also wondered why i had a couple extra bolts.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Shift

Manual trans.i moved the shifter and the red cable with small ends never moved so i believed it was broken inside.unfortunately after i removed both cables i saw that both cables seemed ok.when i move the pulleys in the engine compartment they move freely so not connected to anything.can't find anything to explain how it's supposed to work.i'm sure the red cable is supposed to move something in the trans but i can't move the shifter and see whats happening in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you mean bracket that use clips to hold cables in place.yes that is there and the cables are connected

was there some reason you didn't check the cables before replacing them? Its a pretty simple job to disconnect them from the trans and see if the shifter will make them slide....

Why not try that now to see you installed them right?

Maybe check the ends as well? Another thought is there is a bracket behind the transmission that holds the neck of the cables so they don't flop around when trying to shift. I did forget that once and wondered why i couldn't shift into gear after replacing a clutch. Also wondered why i had a couple extra bolts.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Shifter connection

Although the service manager and 2 techs and the warrantee guy couldn't tell me how to disconnect the cables from the shifter i figured it out if anyone ever needs the info. There are 2 thin wires that go accross the socket for the shifter ball. Just push one to the side and put the ball in then let the wire slide back in place.easy peasy.hope this helps the next guy.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
ok my apologies, you did check and it did seem like it was faulty. it happens.

yes that bracket is the one i was talking about. mine was there, i just didn't have it bolted in. forgot the bolts for it like a goof.

i would be surprised at this...but check the shift bracket at the transmission where the cables attach to. try moving it around. it rotates and lifts to select gears. it should shift in very firmly. you'll hear it clunk into gear. don't worry about the position (keep parking brake on!!) since reattaching the cables will move the shifter to the transmissions position.

i'm wondering if one of the brackets on the shift selector trans side has somehow come detached?

also, i'd like to assume that the connections are fine at the shifter end since you were just in there. maybe check the shifter out carefully?

finally check out the bushings trans side. you should have the cotter pins in there. otherwise the thing can work its way off the post.

not sure what else to say, this is a pretty simple system.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
shift

all brackets are tight and cables are all cnnected and shimmed tight.if i move the shifter right or left the red cable moves and going forward and back the black cable moves but there is zero friction or feeling of moving anything but the cables feels totally disconnected from anything in trans.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
s

if it's the bracket with 2 screws holding it down and the cables slip through it and are held in by 2 u shaped shims,it's rock solid. took it out and cleaned it up and reinstalled it.does not move at all.when the cables aren't installed the big bushings move easily and don't seem to do anything there is no friction or feeling of connection.the other side with with red cable (small ends) moved a spring but that doesn't seem to do anything but move the spring.i feel no clunk click or anything that feels like it's doing anything to anything

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
s

car is headed for the shop.i have 2 vehicles and no rush on the accent till now as usual one goes down the other one follows quickly last time both lost starters 1 week apart,this time shifter on accent slave cylinder on the truck.****. will let everyone know what the mechanic finds.thanks for evryones help

1 - 20 of 21 Posts