Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving down the road the other day, stopped at a stop sign and went to move forward. My car sounded and felt a little bogged, as though I had misplaced the gear in third. I attempted to correct back to first, realizing that it was not a user error, and that my gear shifter was loose, and the car in third gear - as it continues to be. Clutch seems to work, as the car responded to the pressure and continued to move forward to a safe zone. Also, car does not die on start up as long as clutch is engaged.

Checked the linkage, and slaves, no obstructions or breakage noticed. Gear shifter moved as it should in all directions when tested on both ends leading to the shifter and the tranny. Checked TCU ECU fuse, and it looked a little burnt, so I replaced it. As soon as fuse was replaced and car started, the CE light came on. I know that I will need to get those codes, but I am wondering if the transmission in my car has failed, or if the CE light is indicating an electrical reason.

When a manual transmission in the Hyundai Accent goes into failsafe mode, is that indicative of a failed transmission, or just as it sounds: a failsafe mode to protect the transmission from damage until underlying repair can be made?

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
There's no TCU, no failsafe. It's all mechanical, not much different from Grandad's clutch. There a safety switch on the clutch pedal, otherwise no electronics. Sounds more like a power problem to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (jsinton @ Jul 23 2010, 08:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=344296
There's no TCU, no failsafe. It's all mechanical, not much different from Grandad's clutch. There a safety switch on the clutch pedal, otherwise no electronics. Sounds more like a power problem to me.

I understand what you're saying, but did you happen to read the year, make, model... I understand I posted this in a different forum other than for my year of Accent on accident...

But, there is most definately a TCU and ECU fuse section, a pulse sensor (which could be the problem) among the other various electrical wirings that connect from that particular sensor to others. It is also known that hyundai creates many of their transmissions with a failsafe (set for third gear). So...

I'm looking for legitimate help, not some random generalization that doesn't address the issue. The car starts. The car even goes (in third mind you). The clutch continues to work and we've got power. So thanks... but, no go.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts