Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just got a 2000 accent. The problems is that sometimes when I shift into 2nd and 3rd is notches sometimes. But it does not do it when i shift down. Also if I shift fast it will occur less often as when I shift low. When my friend drove the car it didnt do it for him. So maybe it is how i drive or something. I have no idea i make sure the clutch is down all the way. Please help :confused:

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Gear "clash/zip" is good indication brass synchro ring assembly is history.. the brass ring has cone that fits cone on gear and act as a brake to match gear speed to shaft speed so coupling ring can just slide onto gear smoothly.

Likely into an O/H.. gots an '11 Accent sitting currently waiting for 3rd gear and synchro ring, which likely be where you going with 2nd and 3rd..

NOTE -- DO NOT USE "GL5" type gear oil in the trans...

ONLY USE the "Hyundai-Kia" GL4,, or the "REDLINE" M/T oil

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Redline MT-85 oil. Redline is supposed to be full synthetic, where the Hyundai - Kia oil is "semi-synthetic"

Oil wont do anything for worn parts.. try it and see what happen though..

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
good to note that these transmissions are often described as 'notchy'. i can agree with that, mine feels the same and always has. both transmissions actually, my old one had a bearing failure.

maybe you could describe whats happening a little better?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
shifting fast gears go in find most of the time. Shifting slow the gears touch a little like once or a little "notch" then it goes in fine. More in the 2nd gear than the 3rd

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
that's not abnormal. actually, my current trans does the same. slight notch going from 2nd to 3rd when upshifting. my last one did the same from 3rd to 4th.

these manuals are reputed to be tough - although im the evidence against! - but not smooth to shift at all. as long as its not grinding, buzzing, jumping out of gear, etc. i would not worry. just shift from 2nd to 3rd a little slower and that should solve your problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts