Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This start this morning on my way to work. When I took my foot off the gas I would hear a clicking knocking sound the sound slowed down as the car slowed down. Any time I took my foot of the gas this would happen. Was still there when I hit the break. If i had my foot just barely on the gas it would go way. Any thoughts? Its an automatic 2000 Accent 156K miles.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Sounds like axle noise. Have somebody look under there and see if your axle boots are intact. Did you ever replace the axles?

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
either diagnosis is valid. i'm leaning more towards a bad CV joint myself....same as above. does it sound any different when turning?

oil should be checked regularly. no engine will go far with no oil in it.

an example that i ran into was a car that had an oil change and was starting to make ticking. turns out the oil change was not done correctly. when the filter was removed, the gasket separated from the filter and was stuck on the filter flange. this gasket was never removed (tards never checked) so when the new filter was installed its now sitting on 2 gaskets. result was the car was slowly leaking its oil out causing the ticking.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My buddies engine in his Silverado just seized due to the "double o-ring". How do you not notice that it is still stuck, or even not on the filter. I always clean where the filter sits just because.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
My buddies engine in his Silverado just seized due to the "double o-ring". How do you not notice that it is still stuck, or even not on the filter. I always clean where the filter sits just because.
because they're dumb and don't care. most lube 'techs' are lucky to have a high school diploma. they wouldn't be doing that job if they could do more. and that's why i do my own, i can ensure its done properly. well that and i'm cheap :D

·
Premium Member
2,199 Posts
god i hope thats not the problem I'm having with my car.
Weekly you should be checking - your fluid levels; oil, transmission, radiator, brake and power steering. You should also be checking your tire pressure including the spare (if you have one). Also look for puddles of anything under the car where you park (a/c will drip condenced water, not a problem).
Proper attention to the car will ensure a long life.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
You've already indicated that the noise is consistent with ground speed, so an engine problem is highly doubtful. It's something to do with the axles/wheels. Do like I said and have your axles checked out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I took it to my brother's house and got it up on a jack and we were able to found the source of the clicking is inside the transaxle (thats what he called it) right were the CV joint meets the transmission. What we don't know is what could be in there causing the sound. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
yeah the joint is trashed. if you look at the boot, you'll find a tear. new driveshaft time. this explains why it wasn't worse around corners too, inside joints don't go as often as the outer ones.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
It's normal for your axles to wear out like that. You can get cheap replacements for $60. The last one I bought was $45. Getting them in is a different story, but usually you can find someone to do it for $150 each side.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm going to take it out to my dad's house and put it on his left. I think my brother and him should be able to fix it together. When you said "driveshaft" what do you mean by that? Is that the axles? If so I found them online for $75 each.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
You'll be okay for a couple days probably, but no guarantees. There's plenty of descriptive terms for what is really known as a "halfshaft", but it's all the same thing... driveshaft, halfshaft, axles.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
axles...driveshaft...whatever. same thing. its not a hard job, but you will need a 32mm impact socket to get the castle nut off the end at the wheel. remember, when the shaft is pulled out of the transaxle side oil will come out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update on this problem. I replaced the axles, the oil is good, the Automatic Transmission fluid looks good, but its still making that knocking sound. We put it on a left and ran it for a bit and found that in Drive it only makes the sound when you let your foot off the gas, in Neutral it doesn't make any sound, but in Reverse it makes the sound when I have the foot on the gas, but not when I take my foot off. Any Thoughts?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts