Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2000 Accent for my daughter because for the same money I could have purchased a 1992 Civic. Hope I did not make a mistake. After replacing the mass air flow sensor, the air filter, the fuel filter and the spark plugs the car funs fine. My problem is that after you turn off the engine you can hear pressure bleeding out of the I think is the fuel system and then a small bang in the gas tank. If I remove the gas cap while the car is runnng the check engine light comes on but when you turn of the car there is no bang from the gas tank. The Hyundai dealer just says to ignore the problem since he has no idea what is causing the problem. As I said before the car runs fine but I would like to know what is happening. I replaced the gas cap but this had no effect. Any ideas?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Have you considered the fuel pump? I would replace that as well, and see where that gets you. That's the only thing that I could think of that would create a sound coming from your gas tank. It shouldn't cost very much to get that replaced either. I'm sure you can find it online for pretty cheap.

I would also take your vehicle back to the dealer, and ask them the source of the check engine light. They can hook up one of their little scan tools, and get a fault code from your ecu in about 5 minutes or less. Tell them there is something definitely wrong. If they don't want to do it then they're just being lazy. Dealerships never want to do any warranty related work.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
329 Posts
During operation there is positive pressure in your fuel tank. You'll normally hear some sound from the gas tank after you shut off the engine, Usually this a whirring sound that last about a second as the fuel system depressurizes.

The pressure is released through a charcoal filter to prevent gasoline vapours from escaping.

There is a sensor that tells you if pressure is being lost somewhere in the system and removing the gas cap will set that off and result in the check engine light coming on.

The bang you are hearing is probabaly coming form a val;ve that is not operating as it should. That could be in the fuel pump or somewehre else in the system but I agree with Occultworks that the fuel pump is probably the place to start.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank-you for the input. The kid next door crawled under the car and diagnosed my problem. The gas tank has a slight dent. When you start the car the fuel system pressurizes and forces the dent out. When the car is turned off the dent returns with a bang. Bright kid and not yet old enough to drive.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Originally posted by hondaguy@Oct 19 2004, 02:57 PM
Thank-you for the input.  The kid next door crawled under the car and diagnosed my problem.  The gas tank has a slight dent.  When you start the car the fuel system pressurizes and forces the dent out.  When the car is turned off the dent returns with a bang.  Bright kid and not yet old enough to drive.
[snapback]1834[/snapback]​

You will find that the dent in the fuel tank has originated from the tank being either over purged or the fact that you atmospheric port in your fuel cap had failed.
These are two very common problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts