Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm hoping someone here can shed some light on a problem I am having with my 2000 Accent GL. It keeps dying while I'm driving it then will not restart. After sitting for awhile it will start but then after a short time dies again.

The first thing I did was replace the fuel filter but that did not help. Did a diagnostic scan and it threw a code for the CPS sensor. Replaced THAT and it STILL did not fix it. I reset the computer but it didn't help. The scanner didn't pick up any other codes. Next I checked the relays and they all seem to be fine. Finally, I replaced the fuel filter but the problem did not go away. I'm stumped. Any help you all could offer would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
well first step is to not replace parts like the fuel filter without any reason for doing so.

good work on the CPS, but there is something else going on here. i would start by getting it to the point where it will not start again. then get someone to turn the engine while you try to figure it out....are you getting spark? a simple spark tester will show that. are injectors firing? check with a mechanics stethoscope. is the fuel pump dying out? with the car in ON but not cranking you should be able to hear it humming if you get your ear up to the gas tank.

various other sensors can be at fault, check all your wiring and connections for breaks and corrosion. could even be a failing relay....swap some vital ones under the hood with not so vital ones (ie. swap horn for fuel pump, and so on). even give the battery a test right when it dies...you'll need a load tester though. possibly alternator isn't up to the task.

can you describe what happens in detail when the car stalls out? whats happening when you try to start it again?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well first step is to not replace parts like the fuel filter without any reason for doing so.

good work on the CPS, but there is something else going on here. i would start by getting it to the point where it will not start again. then get someone to turn the engine while you try to figure it out....are you getting spark? a simple spark tester will show that. are injectors firing? check with a mechanics stethoscope. is the fuel pump dying out? with the car in ON but not cranking you should be able to hear it humming if you get your ear up to the gas tank.

various other sensors can be at fault, check all your wiring and connections for breaks and corrosion. could even be a failing relay....swap some vital ones under the hood with not so vital ones (ie. swap horn for fuel pump, and so on). even give the battery a test right when it dies...you'll need a load tester though. possibly alternator isn't up to the task.

can you describe what happens in detail when the car stalls out? whats happening when you try to start it again?
Thank you for taking time to reply to my post. I have done nearly everything you have suggested with the exception checking the injectors--I have no way to do that. It's going into the shop tomorrow. I was hoping to avoid that but it is what it is. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
nothing wrong with that when you need your car. get a detailed description on the problem, try to learn from it. it'll help you next time you get a similar problem with another car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts