Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone gave my niece a 2000 hyundai accent.

It has about 140K miles on it. It's a GL model.

It has been running great. As of yesterday, when you get it out on the highway for a few miles then start slowing down to get off at the exit, it will die.

The thing will not start back for about 45 mins to an hour.

It is not overheated, the battery is good, etc.

I have read about the CPS sensor going out on a lot of these but I don't think it was the same symptoms.

It did it on me when i was test driving it a little while ago. I let it sit for a while and it started back up then died in town when I let off the gas.

Any ideas on this?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Replace the CKP (crankshaft position sensor)... you can do it yourself in the driveway providing you have a long 1/4 drive extension, and a swivel 10mm socket.

Do it when engine cold so you dont burn hand on exhaust manifold/catalyst.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the quick reply.

I found a crankshaft position sensor at the local autozone.

Silly question, but where is this located on the car. I'm gathering it's near the manifold from the previous response but I cannot see it from the top.

Unfortunately I do not have a service manual for this vehicle.

Thanks again,

Tommy

·
Registered
31 Posts
My 01 did the same thing. Sure enough, Crank Pos. Sensor.

It is located right next to the clutch slave cylinder. It is on the front, driver's side of the engine, below the exhaust manifold. It is easy to get to but you will need said tools.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got the part and replaced it. The car seems to be running like a champ now.

It's interesting, the old on was barely still magnetized. When I was installing the new one, the magnet was so string it was attracted to everything.

Thanks for the help. Now to get the horn working before time for an inspection sticker.

Tommy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts