Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, wanted to get your thoughts on a worryinh incident that happened to our '20 Limited 2.0T yesterday. Seemed that yesterday morning, we experienced suddenly an issue with startup, followed by sluggish accleration, white smoke coming out of the exhaust, and a noticeable gasoline smell. Check engine light was on and the guy at O'reilly's found something about ignition coils after running the codes. Has anybody else seen this?

This is my fourth Hyundai since 2010 and I have never seen an issue this major before. And this car is barely a year old with only 13k miles, not to mention it was taken in for maintenance very recently. It's at the dealership now and I assume whatever the problem is will be covered by the warranty, but just wanted to get an idea of what I might be dealing with here.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T Awd
1,203 Posts
Hi all, wanted to get your thoughts on a worryinh incident that happened to our '20 Limited 2.0T yesterday. Seemed that yesterday morning, we experienced suddenly an issue with startup, followed by sluggish accleration, white smoke coming out of the exhaust, and a noticeable gasoline smell. Check engine light was on and the guy at O'reilly's found something about ignition coils after running the codes. Has anybody else seen this?

This is my fourth Hyundai since 2010 and I have never seen an issue this major before. And this car is barely a year old with only 13k miles, not to mention it was taken in for maintenance very recently. It's at the dealership now and I assume whatever the problem is will be covered by the warranty, but just wanted to get an idea of what I might be dealing with here.

Thanks for the advice!
Only guessing. As the code pointed to, could be damaged ignition coil or leaking fuel injector. Good thing you got it to the dealer quickly.

·
Registered
Hyundai NEXO, 04/2020, Dusk Blue, Premium
29 Posts
This sounds like a defective cylinder head gasket.
Check:
Switch off engine.
Check the largest water hose for pressure.
High pressure indicates a defect in the cooling system.
Allow engine to cool down so that the pressure in the cooling system decreases.
Carefully open the cap of the expansion tank (risk of burns!).
Top up coolant if necessary.
Run engine with expansion tank or radiator open.
Observe water in the expansion tank.
If bubbles are visible in the expansion tank after starting the engine, the cylinder head gasket is clearly damaged and must be replaced professionally. Cost: €600 to €1,500.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.4 L
205 Posts
It's under warranty steps. At the dealer.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all. Seems like it is not too major of a fix. Will things be back to normal after this issue is resolved? Anything else to ask the service guys to look at while the car is down there?

Also, what could have caused this? Just a freak defect from the factory? Weird thing is that it was driving normally just the night before

·
Registered
2022 Santa Fe Calligraphy 2.5T
490 Posts
Thank you all. Seems like it is not too major of a fix. Will things be back to normal after this issue is resolved? Anything else to ask the service guys to look at while the car is down there?

Also, what could have caused this? Just a freak defect from the factory? Weird thing is that it was driving normally just the night before
If the engine was cranking, and the injectors were putting fuel in the cylinders, but there was no spark then fuel built up in the cylinder. In the “olden days” this was called “flooded.” When the spark returned, and the engine started, the white smoke and gas smell, was the excess fuel burning off or evaporating from the exhaust.

Please have the dealer check out the codes. Probably just an isolated computer glitch and nothing to lose sleep over.

·
Registered
490 Posts
This sounds like a defective cylinder head gasket.
Check:
Switch off engine.
Check the largest water hose for pressure.
High pressure indicates a defect in the cooling system.
Allow engine to cool down so that the pressure in the cooling system decreases.
Carefully open the cap of the expansion tank (risk of burns!).
Top up coolant if necessary.
Run engine with expansion tank or radiator open.
Observe water in the expansion tank.
If bubbles are visible in the expansion tank after starting the engine, the cylinder head gasket is clearly damaged and must be replaced professionally. Cost: €600 to €1,500.
This is nonsense and not how you diagnose a head gasket.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T HTRAC
1,606 Posts
Only the dealer can fix problem like this, not the Internet. Something in the fuel system is broken. Make an appointment with a dealer asap is your only solution. Use good judgement if you should still drive it if it is spilling unburn fuel.
I had a Mazda MPV before, after 5 mins drive from home, I saw massive white cloud on the rear mirror. I investigated, the exhaust was very toxic! I dropped it off at the dealer which was only 7 minutes away. It took 2 weeks to identify the bad component (I forget what it was). The drive to the dealer was embarrassing :censored:.

·
Registered
136 Posts

Thanks for the advice!
I had an ignition coil fail on the 2019 2.0T. Car drove fine, then all of a sudden the CEL came on solid, car ran terribly. Fortunately I was only about 1 mile away from home and headed back anyways, so I got it home and shut it off. Upon start up it idled terribly rough, and would die after about 10s.

Had the vehicle flat bed towed to the dealership where they diagnosed it as a bad ignition coil and replaced it under warranty.

The car drove fine after that, up until we traded it in on the 2021 we purchased.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah so I heard from the dealer on Monday and they did say something coolant leak. Not much explanation of what might have caused that or why it suddenly happened. They didn't say anything about replacing the engine though, instead something about replacing the fuel line?

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL
2,295 Posts
Yeah so I heard from the dealer on Monday and they did say something coolant leak. Not much explanation of what might have caused that or why it suddenly happened. They didn't say anything about replacing the engine though, instead something about replacing the fuel line?
I was informed that Hyundai either doesn’t allow or want the dealers to go inside the engines or transmissions. If that is true they would have to replace the engine. If course they could pay a fortune to remove the head and replace the head gasket. Better to replace it and take the defective engine back to the factory and find out why the gasket failed.

·
Registered
2021 Santa Fe Calligraphy
155 Posts
Had a head gasket fail on a car. Lots of white smoke and smell of hot coolant (not gasoline smell). Issue here definitely sounds like fuel system not blown head gasket.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for the comments. so I am still waiting to hear from the dealer as to when I will get the car back or exactly what they did/will do to fix it. when I go pick up the car what kind of questions should I ask?

·
Registered
490 Posts
thanks for the comments. so I am still waiting to hear from the dealer as to when I will get the car back or exactly what they did/will do to fix it. when I go pick up the car what kind of questions should I ask?
The work they performed should be recorded in the service record. The parts replaced should also be listed. Read what it says and ask questions if you don’t understand. You could also ask what caused the white exhaust and fuel smell for a general answer and how the replaced parts will resolve the issue.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts