Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2011 Hyundai Elantra Limited in March of 2011. I had to purchase the 4th set of tires ( including original tires) at 68,000 miles due to excessive rear tire wear. Dealer checked the car when the first set wore out and advised me to buy better tires. I purchased a set of tires with 45,000 mile tread warranty from Discount tire. Tires wore out at 19,000 miles. The dealer again checked the car including alignment and could not find anything wrong. I filed a consumer complaint with the state and their report said only that the dealer died not warrant tires. I contacted Hyundai Motors America and they sent a representative to the dealer to check the car. They couldn't find anything wrong. I replaced the tires with Michelin tires rated for 55,000 miles tread wear. After 9000 miles it was evident the rear tires were wearing out very quickly. By then I had found on a Hyundai Forum other Hyundai owners had this problem and at least one dealer had replaced the rear axil. After 6 months of insisting Hyundai fix my car they finally replaced the rear axil. By then I had tried to contact the Korean CEO in Korea but he would not respond. I contacted the US embassy in Korea to see if they would deliver a letter to the CEO in Korea but they would not. We measured tread front and back after the axil was replaced and after 9000 miles the rear tires were completely worn out while the front tires showed little wear. I ask for Hyundai to reimburse my for a set of tires and they responded nothing was wrong with the car and the abnormal tire wear was caused by the use of the car and driving conditions. The car is used as a passenger car driven on paved roads and same weather conditions millions of other drivers who didn't have rear tire problems. Hyundai Motors America closed my case and said they would no longer respond to emails on this problem. At Discount Tire Company I discussed the problem their experts and they recommended changing to 16 inch wheels. 16 inch tires are cheaper and I bought Michelin tires with a 90,000 tread life thinking maybe I could get 45,000 miles on them. I contacted the President and the Service CEO at Hyundai Motors America and again explained my problem and the cause their representative came up with as why the tires were wearing out. Case reopened, Hyundai Engineers could not find a problem with the car but authorized $657.16 reimbursement and a $200 service coupon at the dealer. I'm still trying to find what causes the tire wear.

·
22,788 Posts
:confused: Unless I missed it in your post, did the tires ever get rotated? Any of them? Just curious. If not, then you may have missed the prematuring wear that will be evident upon a rotation. Also, did you check your air pressures regularly? Look at the tires' tread from time-to-time? I'm just wondering...that's all. Trying to make some sense of this to assist. :(

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
And was alignment "within spec"? Tried an independent alignment shop yet?

·
Banned
532 Posts
Flame.

Axil: The upper angle between a leaf stalk or branch.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I have two Elantras. One is a Limited. the other a GT. The Limited had Conti's on it, the GT had the Hankook 426. The GT had 20K on it when tires needed replacement. GT is the wife's car, and she does not drive like speed racer. the conti's on the Limited probably would have gotten me 30-35K if a road hazard had not occurred and destroyed a tire (hence I replaced All of them).

First I have to ask, how is your driving style, honestly? are you a drifter or a curve hugger? Have you gotten an alignment check at an independent shop? Next, how is your roads? Here in Arkansastan, a majority of the two-laners consist of asphalt. When the asphalt gets rough, they put whats called "chip seal" on the roads. For those that do not know, chip seal is where they lay a thick oil down and cover it with small pebbles. They then allow traffic to 'steamroll' the gravel into the asphalt. What results is a very rough and loud type of road. Cheap for taxpayers, bad on tires. Driving on roads like these eat tires for lunch, especially if curves are involved. I have been here 30+ years and never have I gotten over 40K on any set of tires on any car I have owned due to these roads.

My second thought is since you say your rears are wearing faster, that your alignment has to be out (sans your drifting the car). One other reason could be the stock shocks, as they are really too stiff causing the rear of the car to bounce around during bumps and curves and that in itself can eat tires pretty bad too See the KYB install threads.

Wife's GT has had the rear axle replaced due to alignment issue (see GT forum section here), however tire wear was pretty much even across the board.

I am on my second set of tires on both cars, with mine at 24K, and Wife's, at 22K. We did not cheap out on tires this time. a 45K tire is not going to get you 45K unless you strictly drive interstates without curves.

thirdly, the obvious. What tire pressures you running? are you rotating tires? what is the wear patterns? let us have more info on your situation.

·
22,788 Posts
^ +1 Couldn't agree more with those comments. I'm going to be thrilled if I can get 35,000 outta my Conti's- just passing the 32,000 mark on the clock with 4/32" left. They have been good to me except for that gosh-awful noise. With old man winter looking around the corner, I am not jeopardizing my $20K+ car by keeping worn tires on it.

I'll probably pull the trigger on new tires next weekend...if the Black Friday sales at the various tire stores will cooperate. I have a tentative appointment already set up for 5 AM, Friday morning after Thanksgiving. And if they also throw in the customary lap dance as incentive, well, all the better. LOL If not then, most certainly sooner than later. Lap dance or not. :grin:

·
22,788 Posts
5am? wow.......not possible to get one that early around here
One what? Lap dance or tire? LMAO They're having their big tire blow out sale on Black Friday. Tire stores open at 5 AM. I guess they have to get into the fray with Kohl's, JC Penney, Wally World, Target, Best Buy, etc., and the like. The streets in town and parking lots are ridiculous.

I once stood outside Kohl's to get something for the wife. It was around 4 AM. They opened the doors, I lifted my legs, and the crowd did the rest and carried me in. Took two hours to get thru the cash registers. Never again!

That's why I have the first appointment on Friday morning. Allegedly, there's a $150 off any set of 4 tires priced $400 or more for the set. Then there's the rebates that the OEM's offer. Too good to pass up if it's true. I plan on going down there tomorrow and verifying it.

For the record: 5 AM is WAY too early for a lap dance, maybe... I'll ask for a "rain," uh, er, ah, "lap check." :grin: :wink2:

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
I suspect that my car has the same problem but I blame cheap tires Sunew made in China. The rear ones wear in the shape of an egg. I don't have this problem with my winter tires though so it must be my cheap summer tires made in China. Next summer, if I still have the car (wife still wants an automatic) I will buy better tires, not from China.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Did you save the printout from you alignment check - also what is the wear pattern on your back tires - inside, outside, or all over?

·
Registered
882 Posts
Rich,
Consider these tires:
I put Michelin Primacy MXM4 (215/45-17) on the wife's GT, and Pirelli P7's on mine. Both seem good tires but the Michelins are slightly quieter. road noise is something I cannot tolerate in a car, I think I have really sensitive hearing on this, too. The Michelins are slightly quieter than the Pirellis but both have a good smooth ride as well. I don't know about you, but us older folk, even if we are driving 'economy' cars, like a smooth, quiet ride too!

the Michelins are alittle pricey, but worth it.

·
22,788 Posts
I don't know about you, but us older folk, even if we are driving 'economy' cars, like a smooth, quiet ride too!
Absolutely. It wouldn't have hurt if Hyundai had invested an extra Korean dollar, or two, into better sound insulation inside the cabin. But that's a topic for another thread. Quieter tires I can get. Not in the mood (nor frame of mind) to rip out the interior panels and carpeting to do what should have been done at the factories. Based on other's comments after tossing their HanKooks and Conti's aside, there's a quieter life to be had. And I, along with my butt and big ears, fully intend to have it! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alignment check 4 times, always in spec and adjusted to perfect. tire pressure monitored by the car and always ok. shocks/struts ok, no excessive weight in the car, wear pattersn flat across the faxce of the tires, not cut on either side or thin in the middle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I put those tires on after the 2nd set wore out. they lasted 26K miles. I'm om Michelin defenders now, rated 90K miles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I'm a 81 year old vet and I drive to get mileage, very carefully. Tires are rotated as specified or more ofton. I buy tires at Discount tire co and they rotate/balance fdree. I have 74,000 miles on the car now and far the most part drive on smooth paved roads. No gravel or dirt roaqds. shocks/struts ok. Tire pressure is at 32 psi and monitiored by the car. At one time the dealer put 34 psi for some reason but that didn't help. Dealer also put nitrogen in, no difference. Car checked at two different alignment shops and a Hyundai Engineer (he claimed) spent 4 hrs going over the car beforfe they issued the a check for a set of tires. No problem found, everything in spec the Engineer said.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Rich,

"I'll probably pull the trigger on new tires next weekend...if the Black Friday sales at the various tire stores will cooperate. I have a tentative appointment already set up for 5 AM, Friday morning after Thanksgiving. And if they also throw in the customary lap dance as incentive, well, all the better. LOL If not then, most certainly sooner than later. Lap dance or not. :grin: " Rich

It depends (sorry) if you're up "early" or "late". Those a"A"shift (1st shift) girls are kind of rough!!!!!!! I've got contis on 17" on my '12 Ltd,
mostly gone at 36,000. Whose got the tire sale? I'm in south Fla, I'll keep a look out here.

Jim

·
22,788 Posts
I saw the ad for a facility called "Tires Plus." Allegedly, you could get up to $150 off if you spent $400+ on 4 new tires. That puts me at $250. Then, a $70 manufacturer rebate on top of that. Of course, there's about a $58 charge for mounting/balancing, free rotation. And about $60 for the road hazard insurance. So, they get that $150 back pretty quickly. But better than not getting the discount at all. Sounds to good to be true. And we know how that usually ends. I'm stopping by their local store tomorrow to question them further about this.

They are scattered over different parts of the U.S. But Discount Tire will "usually" price match most anything you can obtain locally, as will Wally-World if you show them the ad...provided they carry a like item. Even thru the INTERNET, I'm told, if you can show them the ad.

As far as I know, our store is the only one that offers the lap dances. Our gain, your loss. :wink2: Sadly, just one per paying customer. When I took the wife's former 2008 Tucson down for 4 new shoes, I didn't take her. Had I done so, well: :eek:

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
There is always a catch to these tire deals typically requiring some store finance credit card account to be opened. Best of luck to you guys. I will be home on Black Friday eating leftovers and watching tv.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
22,788 Posts
There is always a catch to these tire deals typically requiring some store finance credit card account to be opened. Best of luck to you guys. I will be home on Black Friday eating leftovers and watching tv.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
No stomach for shopping among thousands of card-carrying female crazies and 1/4 mile long lines at the registers? Parking lots overflowing into the public streets? Watching in utter disbelief as mace wielding security officers run for their lives? 110 decibel screams echoing from the ceiling as hooves gallop through and over the narrow aisles at 4AM? Those endless quests to save $5 off a pair of shoes that are two sizes too small??

Could it be THAT bad at a tire sale? Seriously, fellas, it's JUST tires. All I want is ONE itty-bitty set of tires. Tell you what: I'll report back next week with a "blow-by-blow" review of any fracas, apprehensions, detainments or arrests that I personally witness. :unsure:

·
Registered
542 Posts
I got sucked into a early morning black Friday Sears tire sale several years ago. Went to sears at about 5am in a horrific snow storm that just had to hit that morning. I waited a couple hours but all went fine and the deal was as advertised but i wish i would of just stayed home that morning. I regret purchasing those Goodyear assurance tripletreds. Worst tires I've ever had, they're supposed to have like a 80k mile tread warranty but at 35k they need replaced. Granted i admit to skipping a couple rotations but still and the tires become awfully noisy within 10k. I can't wait to get these things off my car which will be "very" soon.

Sent from my SCH-I535

1 - 20 of 25 Posts