Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now have 2 Hyundais with push button start, 2014 Santa Fe LWB & 2018 Elantra Value Edition. There is no way I'm going to carry 2 Key Fobs. Does anyone know if any 3rd party company is working or thinking about
making a Key Fob for push button start that has 2 heads in it so one key fob could be programed to work on both vehicles?
I can't find anything on the net. I know it could be done if someone had the knowledge to do it. I'm not sure how much of a market there is so it may not be profitable.

ps: The key fob may not be a big thing as my wife told me to stay completely away from her Elantra. "Don't even think about driving it!" Guess I won't be taking it for fuel & a wash for her either.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Check with locksmith that has ability to pair key fobs with cars. I'd imagine when they are programmed, they get paired together and not like a garage door opener where you can just add more and more openers, but the locksmith or dealer would be the one to tell you if it is possible with factory fob.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Realistically you'd never need to carry both sets of keys at the same time. If you're taking her car, grab her keys. If you're taking your car, grab your keys. It's really not that big of a deal.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Realistically you'd never need to carry both sets of keys at the same time. If you're taking her car, grab her keys. If you're taking your car, grab your keys. It's really not that big of a deal.
You have a good point there and most of the time it wold suffice. I can think of times where it wouldn't but not the end go the world. Guess its more of a challenge for me. Just don't like not to be able to do something I want. But thats life.

Thanks all for your comments.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You have a good point there and most of the time it wold suffice. I can think of times where it wouldn't but not the end go the world. Guess its more of a challenge for me. Just don't like not to be able to do something I want. But thats life.

Thanks all for your comments.
Her FOB in your car's glove box. You have both FOBs when necessary.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Doesn't sound like any problem to me since you can't drive the wife's car anyway. You don't happen to live in the Dallas-Plano area? You wife sounds like my ex. I didn't like driving her van because of the smoke smell and I didn't let her drive my car because I didn't allow any smoking in it even though I smoked at the time.

·
Registered
210 Posts
“Don’t like not being able to do something”. I can definitely identify with that!

I have only one push button Hyundai, but wife’s car is a push button Nissan, and carrying two fobs in my pocket is a bit too bulky. When one of the car’s were was still a key was no problem. And is not often that I need access to both cars, but there are times when it’s necessary.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
we have 2 push button cars, identical except for color. we generally drive separate cars, but the spare fobs are easily accessible. our solution is, if we go in the grey car, she drives. the blue car, i do. but that is partially because she used to drive the blue car, but was involved in 4 claims, and now she refuses to drive the blue car because it is possessed.

·
Registered
210 Posts
we have 2 push button cars, identical except for color. we generally drive separate cars, but the spare fobs are easily accessible. our solution is, if we go in the grey car, she drives. the blue car, i do. but that is partially because she used to drive the blue car, but was involved in 4 claims, and now she refuses to drive the blue car because it is possessed.
Had a car once that I swear was cursed. A red 2009 Ford Focus.

In it's short 18 month life, it was a magnet for traffic stops and accidents. And after one of them...a relatively minor fender bender... the alignment was never the same, which may have contributed to it's eventually being totalled (wife was T-boned while turning left).

And the police may not conciously target red cars, but there is no doubt in my mind that they capture anyone's attention more readily than most other colors. We bought a grey 2010 Focus after that and it was troublefree for 7 years until it was totaled by a semi-truck that couldn't see it backing up over it and essentiually crushing it like a soda pop can.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts