Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a 2005 2.9 crtd for about 18 months with no problems. Then recently, only on a couple of occaisions, the engine warning light came on if I accelerated hard in 3rd or 4th gear. No loss of power when it came on, I stopped, restarted and all was well again. Then it was hard to start a couple of times, now it won't start at all. I tried checking for fault codes but it shows no codes when I scan. Other threads suggest this could be fuel related but there was no loss of power when the engine warning light came on. Any suggestions as to where to start?

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
18,613 Posts
Any thoughts/suggestions? Being told it could be fuel pump/injectors.
To be honest, on these engines it could be both. The Terracan is well known for the H/P pump breaking up inside and sending metallic fragments through the whole fuel system which then blocks the injectors too. From what I've heard, that is often accompanied by those two codes you've pulled.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Very interesting with this as I too have the same problem.....same symptoms...engine light when under load, back off throttle and light goes off.
I have driven like this for a while, where recently my vehicle has struggled to start? Not attaining sufficient pressure in common rail, would crank over for a prolonged time then fire up, which on a fault finding laptop hook up showed difficulty in reaching the 116?120bar pressure in the common rail which would enable firing?
Initially I had hoped for it being a sticking injector, allowing a pressure leak, but reading this am thinking it may be Hp pump now as the higher fuel demand causing the engine light to come on may have been a supply issue (pump) rather than a delivery problem (sticking or blocked injector/s).
I tried a 'cheap fix' having a terraclean fuel treatment, allegedly decokes from injectors through to particulate sensor, this didn't restore my starting to its former quick firing, and may have led to my HP pump dying when I last had the motor running......looks like I may need to replace my HP pump...keep me posted with developments fellas, and I will do likewise.

·
Registered
18,613 Posts
Have you had a leak off test done on the injectors? Your problem could be a fuel leak in one of the injectors (as could johnmullen's).

Parts for CRD engines are very expensive so it's best to have the fault properly diagnosed by a diesel expert. You don't want to be playing parts darts on these engines. Too much money involved to be guessing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Many thanks for the replies. Just to feed back info on what was wrong with the car. A set of injectors were required and I had the fuel pump checked over too. Pump was stripped and checked for wear etc; some new seals were fitted after strip down and the pump was then bench tested for pressure build etc all ok now; apart from my wallet which seems a tad thinner than it was.
One point the pump shop made was to avoid cheap fuel from supermarkets etc as they tend to cut back on lubricant additives which can cause premature wear on injectors/pump (their words not mine). Delphi fuel systems appear to be a weak point in this engine.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,613 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to come back with the final fix for your car. Yes, I'm sure your wallet is a good bit thinner now but at least it's not empty like it would have been had they found damage inside the pump. That was good advise on the supermarket fuel too. That causes it's fair share of issues on petrol engines too.

Regards.
Scottie.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.