Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
NGK Platinum or NGK IRIDIUM (upgrade) and new set of Hyundai plug wires since intake already off and mileage... bad to have a misfire code next week and have to do it all over again..

·
Registered
390 Posts
Yes, I used this guide to do my plugs and it was accurate for me. It took me about an hour to do the job. Just make sure you put a new plenum gasket and as sbr711 stated to replace the wires and use NGK spark plugs.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (pemdas1972 @ Oct 19 2010, 04:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364631
Yes, I used this guide to do my plugs and it was accurate for me. It took me about an hour to do the job. Just make sure you put a new plenum gasket and as sbr711 stated to replace the wires and use NGK spark plugs.
Thanks, I was wondering if anyone had done this as a guide. I'll try it this month.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you're going to replace the spark plug wires, I recommend Magnecor KV85 wires. They're the best you can get and you won't have to replace them for a very long time!

NGK iridium plug are the way to go too. They don't need to be replaced for a long time either. Saving you needless repeats of this job.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (johnaauld @ Oct 19 2010, 06:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364649
Thanks, I was wondering if anyone had done this as a guide. I'll try it this month.
Just got done changing the spark plugs. Have to say up front that I used the champions that the dealership sold me last year and they cost around $60 if I remember right. I had changed the three up front last year so just changed the back three today. I would have to say there is one tool missing on the list. I think a magnetic wand to pick up dropped tools(for me it was a 12mm on a stubby extender that I managed to drop. It was also good for fishing out the spark plugs(my spark plug remover doesn't have any rubber insert). The only other thing I had a problem with is when it said to lift plenum off studs. I yanked and pulled and tugged for a good long while without budging it a bit. Finally I carefully pried the sides with a flat blade to get it started to move. I also saw some aluminum shavings around the stud and bolt holes that I carefully brushed to the outside before I put the cloth on the intake side. Took me two hours but I'm not the worlds greatest mechanic and some of the problems stated above where a good part of my time. Thanks again to whoever put that post together. I wouldn't have done it without it and the dealership would be $500 richer.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The link provided for the spark plug replacement seems straight forward enougn...but shouldn't I be concerned with the torque values for reinstalling everything?
Does anyone know the proper torque values for the plenum bolts?
Thanks,
Bruce

·
Registered
27 Posts
QUOTE (pemdas1972 @ Oct 19 2010, 06:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364631
What is a plenum gasket and where does it go ? Also, he mentions a Metal Crush Gasket, what is that ?
He never says what to do with these two items.

Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE (techjpc @ Dec 8 2010, 07:13 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377839
What is a plenum gasket and where does it go ? Also, he mentions a Metal Crush Gasket, what is that ?
He never says what to do with these two items.

Thanks
Joe
If you go to step 16 and look at the picture- you will see the black gasket that runs the length of the intake. I'm not sure what the metal crush gasket was for as I did not notice it while doing this repair. I reused the original gasket on the intake when I did my spark plugs and had no trouble after the job was finished- the car started right up with no air leaks in the intake. As to the poster above you, it took a fair amount of torque to get the bolts and nuts off the intake and I used a fair amount putting it back on. Didn't use a torque wrench. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Plenum gasket -- see picture.

Tighten plenum bolts to 17 lb-ft, same for rear bolts at support bracket.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
success

So with the combination of this forum, the link at the top, and youtube... i successfully did the spark plugs and the wires with no problem. Parts were like 120$ for me. I found myself without the right tools here and there so it took a bit longer to complete but running great now. Autozone had everything(xtra tools and parts) including the plenum gasket.
I was quoted 820$ including the 115$(hr rate) diagnosis... so my total of 225$ vs 820$ is pretty good and i have new socket tools for the future.

This was the most "risky" repair Ive done. Only done window motor replacement and easy soldering job for a simply fix to a digital odometer display on an old buick century...

Thanks Everyone / internet!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Only thing I would add is to examine your valve cover gaskets while you are deep in there. If a rear VC gasket leaks oil down onto your alternator, you will spend another $200 for alternator and have to take it all apart again to install the gaskets. Adding another $25 for gaskets while in there can save you a bundle. Been there last year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts