Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

Here's a picture of oil dripping off the bottom of my filter.

It's a 2009 Santa Fe 2.5L and has been great (183k) but now I'm seeing oil on the garage floor, about a teaspoon a day. Oil pan is totally clean.

I'm thinking I should get a Hyundai filter and clean the filter gasket mating surface (haven't wiped that down for a while).

Anything major I should be checking for with this oil leaking like this?

Your expert opinions are welcome!

P.S. Coolant on left side of picture is from an old leak -- fixed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
When The Bride bought her '07 Tucson 2.7 about ten years ago, I learned a lesson with that car concerning aftermarket oil filters. It had nothing to do with leaks but with noise on startup. Since then, I've used OEM filters on her car, my old '01 Santa Fe 2.7, and my "new" '12 Santa Fe 3.5.

For the previous 40+ years, I didn't hesitate to use aftermarket filters. Things have changed. The prices aren't much different, and I'd rather use what the manufacturer determined was the proper part.

·
Registered
08 Santa Fe 2.7 Automatic
316 Posts
Hello!

Here's a picture of oil dripping off the bottom of my filter.

It's a 2009 Santa Fe 2.5L and has been great (183k) but now I'm seeing oil on the garage floor, about a teaspoon a day. Oil pan is totally clean.

I'm thinking I should get a Hyundai filter and clean the filter gasket mating surface (haven't wiped that down for a while).

Anything major I should be checking for with this oil leaking like this?

Your expert opinions are welcome!

P.S. Coolant on left side of picture is from an old leak -- fixed.
it's standard practice to wipe the mating surface and put oil on the gasket of the new filter at every oil change. hopefully there's just a piece of dirt in there causing the drip.

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
If you tighten the filter to much or don't lube the rubber gasket it can twist a bit and it'll leak. Aftermarket filters won't leak if they are the right application. Best practice for doing the filter is to coat the rubber with clean oil tighten by hand until it just grabs. Turn it another 1/2 turn and back off just a touch.

·
Registered
08 Santa Fe 2.7 Automatic
316 Posts
premium guard genuine filter replacement is what they gave me. the lady said they pulled all the pronto's for hyundai because of a problem they had with elantra's. says made in korea. oe design and fit for hyundai/kia models 2008 and newer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good news: just changed the oil using Hyundai 26300-35504 filter, cleaned off mating surface thoroughly, oil on the seal of course, carefully hand-tightened and no leaks now. I'm happy!

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
Good news: just changed the oil using Hyundai 26300-35504 filter, cleaned off mating surface thoroughly, oil on the seal of course, carefully hand-tightened and no leaks now. I'm happy!
Yeaa....how do you spell yay?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
The old Hyundai-Kia blue spin on

Hyundai 26300-35503 / 35504 filter

1 - 10 of 10 Posts