Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did oil/filer change (OEM filter)...after adding 5 qt. (as the manual says), it is still a bit less than a quart shy of being full! :surprise:
Is this consistent with any one else's experience? :liebe011:

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
If you had the recall inspection your dipstick should have been changed out which requires more oil to reach the Full mark. The manual probably wasn't updated digitally and most definitely was not updated in print.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that...that's about what the Buick takes! :surprise:

Reactions: forgeinaz

·
Registered
2014 SFS 2.4l
411 Posts
Thanks forgeinaz. I was going crazy thinking mine was all of the sudden starting to consume oil. Just did an oil change and after 5 qts, the level sits about 1/8-3/8 below the F mark. Those orange dipsticks are also a pain in the arse to read as oil smears everywhere as you take them out. Just for reference/record, I have a 2013 Sonata GLS with 59k miles and have been draining out just shy of 4.5 qts every oil change since I got it. Also a note to anyone who has put on a catch can; empty them regularly (as in monthly especially in the winter/colder times). Mine was pretty full of nasty blowby/moisture.

Anyone aware of a TSB or if there's an updated oil capacity for the new orange dipstick?

·
Registered
335 Posts
.... Anyone aware of a TSB or if there's an updated oil capacity for the new orange dipstick?
That's an interesting question, and it would be much more interesting if Hyundai actually did put something in print related to the orange dipstick.

Would they want to say that the original yellow dipstick was wrong, and that there should have always been 3/4 quart more oil in the sump? That would also mean every one of these engines was on the verge of being low on oil, right after an oil change! Ouch, ouch.

OTOH, would they want to say in print that the orange dipstick is actually overfilling the sump by 3/4 quart, when the owners manual probably states something along the lines of "DO NOT OVERFILL". And perhaps they would also write that many of these engines are losing oil, and the orange dipstick is their bandaid attempt to keep some percentage of them from blowing up. Ouch, ouch.

Take your pick, Hyundai - we're all eagerly awaiting what you have to say!

·
Registered
2014 SFS 2.4l
411 Posts
That makes sense and is consistent with the orange dipstick that's in my 2014 Santa Fe Sport which takes slightly more than 5qts with the same engine.

·
Registered
335 Posts
yellow ->4.6 L (1.22 U.S.gal., 4.86 U.S.qt., 4.05 lmp.qt.)
orange ->5.0 L (1.32 U.S.gal., 5.28 U.S.qt., 4.39 lmp.qt.)
red (>2014) 5.0 L (1.32 U.S.gal., 5.28 U.S.qt., 4.39 lmp.qt.)

for orange dipstick it's 0,42gt. more than the yellow. it's safety for this engine.
Do you have a Hyundai source for the above information, or is it something you've measured yourself? Not saying your wrong, just that most of the posts from owners on this forum have said "around 3/4 quart". I don't have one myself, so I'm just going by what seems to be most commonly reported by others.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Oil dipstick tsb attached

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
1. I measured it myself.
Both dipstick's are the same but the orange has only an offset scale.
Procedure:
- put yellow and add oil to max. (max->4,86qt)
- take out the yellow and put on the orange and add oil to the max (it's not possible add more than 0.42qt of oil, to max orange scale)
2. from hyundai too ->look up, page no 6 (recall file) from colleauge
3. I compared three dipsticks (yellow, orange, red) -> yellow and red dipsticks are the same, but red pipe of red dipstick is diffrent than yellow pipe -> oil capacity is higher. orange dispstick put on yellow pipe, therefore oil scale on the orange must be moved higher than yellow

sorry for my English :)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Ok, it appears to be clear from the Hyundai doc that the orange dipstick adds 2/5 quart, not 3/4 quart as some folks have posted here previously.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Oh my.. just put close to 5qt in engine,, start it for 20 seconds,, shut off, and add oil to bring level to the "F" mark,, all done

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh my.. just put close to 5qt in engine,, start it for 20 seconds,, shut off, and add oil to bring level to the "F" mark,, all done
Maybe you're trying to be amusing? Anyway, haven't you added oil to the filter so you would have the right amount and nearly instant oil pressure? ;)

·
Registered
17,552 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sonata SEL
500 Posts
It's amazing to me that we all have basically the same engine, (Theta II 2.4L GDI) but we have such wildly different experience when doing an oil change.

I have the 17 Sonata 2.4 which, from everything I've read including the owners manual, is a 5.07 qt system(page 8-6). Some say it's 5.28 qts, another odd disparity.
I've found that adding 5 qts puts it substantially over the full level.
Also, the dipstick has the orange handle. Does the orange handle on newer 2.4 engines(LF) have any relevance to previous generation(YF) 2.4 engines yellow/orange dipstick?

I feel like I've been put in a round room and told to p*ss in the corner.

·
Registered
2021 Sonata SEL
500 Posts
IMHO... this is the best advice with one slight change. Start with 4 qts, run engine for 30 seconds, and then top it off.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
It's amazing to me that we all have basically the same engine, (Theta II 2.4L GDI) but we have such wildly different experience when doing an oil change.

I have the 17 Sonata 2.4 which, from everything I've read including the owners manual, is a 5.07 qt system(page 8-6). Some say it's 5.28 qts, another odd disparity.
Oh boy,Iam going to eat those words and I apologize for the wrong information.When I wrote that,I was looking at records for one of the vehicles I maintain.....:wallbash:

I should of wrote 5.07 quarts or 162 ounces.Just looked in our 2017 manual to confirm.

·
Registered
2021 Sonata SEL
500 Posts
Oh boy, I am going to eat those words and I apologize....
Was that you? LOL

Anyway, I would never call a guy out for an honest mistake. You're a very decent guy and I respect everything you post.
Besides, there could be different capacities in other geographic areas.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
IMHO... this is the best advice with one slight change. Start with 4 qts, run engine for 30 seconds, and then top it off.
IMO, practice, and belief of over some 50+ yrs of changing oil: fill the oil filter, lube the filter gasket, add 4.5 qt., start it and check for leaks...check the oil level after a few min. shut down. Less than a second is better than 5 to 10 seconds for oil pressure. (no these aren't real numbers, just a guess).
:57:
[caveat: some vital steps may have been omitted: replace drain plug, etc.]

1 - 20 of 40 Posts