Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Usually on this forum with the new model Elantra sedan section of the forum but thought I would give you guys a try. Wife has a 2015 Kia sorrento 2.4l, same engine as the Santa Fe. Been noticing some hesitation and rough idling lately and read up on these GDi motors that they need the intake valve cleaning. Today I gave CRC intake valve cleaner spray a try. Took off the auxilary port coming from the air intake and sprayed per directions. Waited an hour and so far did notice a good bit of difference. Smoother idle and a bit better pick up and go.

Curious of anyone elses experience with this?

·
Registered
525 Posts
I like the idea. I know CRC says its safe for turbo's but I see a lot of people on YouTube that says it damages the turbo and possibly the cat because of breaking away large carbon deposits and over heating. One guy was saying his turbo lighted up cherry red. Makes me leery on using it.
I’m sure mine are all carboned up by all the evidence of the carbon at my tailpipe. And I only have 32K miles

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Reactions: salcuta88

·
Registered
525 Posts
I did end up picking up a can and trying it. I actually do notice a difference. LOL
Still hope I didn't blow a bunch of crap in my cat. That was the main complaint I read about it was clogging converters. Some were saying their turbos were glowing red from clogged cats. I ordered a catch can and feel that should help a lot. Also ordered one for my wife's new car seeing it is a GDI and turbo

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a 2013 2.0T. Is think something I should be doing? I do additive to my gas to help with carbon deposits and such, but I've never done the spray stuff directly into the air intake. Since I have 126,000 miles, I'd be really worried about some big chunk of carbon letting loose. Dunno.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I have a 2013 2.0T. Is think something I should be doing? I do additive to my gas to help with carbon deposits and such, but I've never done the spray stuff directly into the air intake. Since I have 126,000 miles, I'd be really worried about some big chunk of carbon letting loose. Dunno.
At that mileage, unless you were having a problem you should probably let a sleeping dog lie. I am going to do mine at about 25,000 miles. My only concern is running it through the turbo.

·
Registered
24 Posts
At that mileage, unless you were having a problem you should probably let a sleeping dog lie. I am going to do mine at about 25,000 miles. My only concern is running it through the turbo.
i have a 2017 sfs 2.4l at 10k miles. Would like to stay ahead of build up on intake valves with CRC intake valve cleaner. I read not to spray over MAP sensor. My MAP senior is right at the air intake at engine ( i think?). Do you disconnect/remove the sensor? If not where do you spray the CRC and avoid the sensor?, If you remove the sensor how do you spray the and where? Do you cover the sensor hole (if removed) and with what. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I didn't try to avoid or remove any sensors. ermjr don't worry about it.

Regardless of the mileage, its worth doing and is nothing to worry or fear about. bjwhite, pick yourself up a can.

There is no worry about running it thru the turbo. walljay, it will clean the turbo.

Best place to spray is the air filter tube as seen in the link that I posted earlier.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I pulled off the vacuum line going directly into the intake manifold and sprayed it in there 2.0t. Only issue I see is if it eventually clogs the converter with carbon. Hopefully that does not happen.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Do you think the cleaner gets distributed equally across the intakes ?
Not sure if it is exactly equal but remember the valves are opening and closing at different intervals so I am sure that it got some into all of them. But its hard to say "equally". Next time I may pull the sensor in the middle and squirt it in there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts