Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Santa Fe Preferred 2020 AWD 2.4l
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening everyone,

Have you noticed that in almost all reviews of the Santa Fe 2019/2020, the critic always compares the 2 engines in the following way in terms of towing capacity :

2.0T = 1,588 kg or 3,501 lbs. 2.4l = 901 kg or 2,000 lbs.

These are the same numbers that are posted on all the dealer websites I've visited. In fact, when we consult the driver's manual we see that with a trailer with brakes the 2.4 lbs models can tow 1,270 kg or 2,800 lbs and as mentioned above, 1,588 kg or 3,501 lbs for the 2.0T engine.

In my opinion the confusion comes from the fact that the 2.4l can tow a maximum of 901 kg or 2 000 lbs when the trailer has no brakes...

But,

This towing capacity is the same for the 2.0T engine when a trailer without brakes is used (901 kg or 2 000 lbs).

So why is it so difficult for critics and dealers to get the right information about the 2.4l's real towing capacity?

·
Registered
196 Posts
The 2800 lb towing capacity is with trailer brakes and "trailer package". Now, it seems that Hyundai is a little coy about what exactly the trailer package adds, but someone in an older thread here said they reached out to Hyundai corporate, and were told that the rear shocks are optimized (whatever that means).

·
Registered
Santa Fe Preferred 2020 AWD 2.4l
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excuse me, you're right.

Hyundai did mention the mysterious "Trailer package" in the driver's manual.

It's weird, this whole optimized suspension thing. I think I'll just keep it under 2,000 pounds, because even Hyundai doesn't seem to know what it is.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe SE (Earthy Bronze) with factory trailer hitch.
80 Posts
My Base SE Santa Fe has the "Trailer Package". But you guys need to know that AWD differs from 2wd as far as how much it can tow. I recently did some searching too and was glad to find out that without trailer brakes my SF can tow up to 1500 pounds on a trailer that weighs less than 1,000 lbs. But most info out there is "with" trailer brakes. The "Trailer Package" consists of a factory installed trailer hitch with plug and slightly stiffer rear shocks. Mostly comes on the base models as far as I can tell. I guess with less bells and whistles loaded into the SF, it can carry more weight. My boss has a SEL an no hitch and different rear shocks. I secretly did a side by side comparison one day and that was the only difference that I could see, externally. Inside she has a different cluster, but not much else that I could see.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts