Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, at some point this year, a friend of mine will be selling is 2008 2.4L Sonata, with roughly 90,000 miles on it so he can get something that is AWD. I am interested in buying it, but I went to Car Complaints, and according to some people there, the 4-cylinder variant of the '08 Sonata has issue's with the engine's blowing up at around 100,000 miles. If I google this, only stuff from that website comes up, nothing else, but it still has me worried. Consumer Reports says nothing about it, so I don't know.

Can anyone tell me if this happened to them? Or if you have an '08 4-cylinder Sonata with more miles than that on it, please let me know how it runs. Just to ease my mind.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
The next in EVILution, the YF is prone to seizing more so than your friend's...I would buy it with that mileage. (I have a YF that has been excellent to this point with the below miles on the clock)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The next in EVILution, the YF is prone to seizing more so than your friend's...I would buy it with that mileage. (I have a YF that has been excellent to this point with the below miles on the clock)
Yes, I saw that the 2011 and 2012 had major seizing issue's, so much that they eventually recalled them all. I wouldn't worry if it was a recall for the '08, because then at least it would be fixed. Part of my logic says if it's not a recall, it wasn't happening with enough of them to be an issue, so it will probably be fine. But I still worry if it should happen, which is why I'm trying to find out how true this is, and if it is, how common among the models.

·
Registered
454 Posts
That’s the first time I’ve heard this, I’ve always thought the NF 2.4L / 3.3L are pretty much bulletproof. A relative of mine has a ‘10 with over 60k mi without major issues and I had an ‘09 with over 125k mi that ran just fine too

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Buy it!
The '11 up with direct injection had the issue, in fact, just had my 2.0T replaced in December with a new long block. Our '08 2.4 that we purchased new the daughter is using as a knock around car has 300,000 miles and still running strong, The drive train was/is bullet proof, at least in this car.
Did have rusted rear lower control arm that needed replacement, alt at 200k, a/c clutch went 240k, brakes components are terrible, same as the '11, the sliders hang up, calipers freeze, and the passenger side seat belt light was on funtil I replaced the seat as the sensor in the cushion can only be purchased with the cushion @ $1200.
Good luck

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
brakes components are terrible, same as the '11, the sliders hang up, calipers freeze
Having had this issue (and research) suggests it is the wheel cylinder seal that freezes the rear calipers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A Friend of mine had one that seized, he was very pleased with the way Hyundai handled it. He told me the company gave him a rental car and payed for the tow also replaced the entire engine. His bill for all that was 0. He was real happy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A Friend of mine had one that seized, he was very pleased with the way Hyundai handled it. He told me the company gave him a rental car and payed for the tow also replaced the entire engine. His bill for all that was 0. He was real happy.
And that was an '06-'08 Sonata your friend had?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts