Hyundai Forums banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,524 Posts
I'm a little confused or misguided! Aren't you not supposed to get CRC on the MAP Sensor? From what I can tell the MAP is in the intake for both the 2.0 and 2.4 engines so its unavoidable? Or its ok for the MAP, just not the MAF, what say yall?

Sonata use a MAP sensor not a MAF.

MAP are not harned or affected by cleaners they measure pressure not flow, a MAF uses a very thin wire heated wire and measures the flow over the wire based on temp changes.

MAP are not damaged or affected by using cleaners , MAF are very delicate due to the fragile thin wire that measures flow and are easily damaged by handling, removal/installation and running cleaners over them, This is also why they tend to go bad and do need to be properly and carefully cleaned or replaced. MAP rarely fail.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts

MAP are not harmed or affected by cleaners they measure pressure not flow, a MAF uses a very thin wire heated wire and measures the flow over the wire based on temp changes.

MAP are not damaged or affected by using cleaners , MAF are very delicate due to the fragile thin wire that measures flow and are easily damaged by handling, removal/installation and running cleaners over them, This is also why they tend to go bad and do need to be properly and carefully cleaned or replaced. MAP rarely fail.
Exactly. You really must be careful in dealing with a MAF sensor to prevent damage. Even cleaning one must be done with the proper chemicals and technique or the output from the sensor can be altered and produce drivability issues.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima SX-T
27 Posts

MAP are not harned or affected by cleaners they measure pressure not flow, a MAF uses a very thin wire heated wire and measures the flow over the wire based on temp changes.

Thanks for the replies. I have a lot to learn about modern engines, thank goodness for forums like this! Warm up the engine, follow the directions on the can, I think I can do that. Reading thru lots of forum posts something I could use advice on is how to do the post heat soak drive. Some seem to say drive it easy for 30 minutes then take it out on the highway, others seemingly say get right out on the highway and several comments on how it can take a week until driving returns to normal. Any tips or suggestions on the best place to spray from or what I should do after I heat soak the valves? I have a 2014 Kia Optima SXT 2.0L with 60k.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,524 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I have a lot to learn about modern engines, thank goodness for forums like this! Warm up the engine, follow the directions on the can, I think I can do that. Reading thru lots of forum posts something I could use advice on is how to do the post heat soak drive. Some seem to say drive it easy for 30 minutes then take it out on the highway, others seemingly say get right out on the highway and several comments on how it can take a week until driving returns to normal. Any tips or suggestions on the best place to spray from or what I should do after I heat soak the valves? I have a 2014 Kia Optima SXT 2.0L with 60k.
Ive used CRC GDI Intake Cleaner 5 times now on my Sonata 2.0T that has 103,000 miles on it.
IMO easiest way is to loosen the inlet hiose at the air filter box and slide the tube in there and either have a helper hold the RPM for you or I use a piece of PVC pipe and wedge the accelerator with the PVC and the seat.
Spray until I hear the engine start to stumble and stop and allow it to get back to normal set rpm. When getting to the end of the can be ready to turn off asap and allow to soak.
I wait the recommended time and then start engine and drive easy accelerating up to about 30-40 mph then I floor it and do a pull to at least 60-70 and slow down again to 20-30 and another floored acceleration to 60-70 followed by a couple miles of normal driving ideally ar 40+ mph. Ive never had a CEL trip, a couple time a lot of smoke out the exhaust on the first acceleration run and only 1 time I had it stimble a little at first like there may have been a pooling of extra cleaner that was pulled in all at once.
If you do get a CEL either clear it is you have a OBD reader or just drive it and it will clear in 40-50 miles from what Ive read no different than a loose gas cap will trigger a CEL and once replaced or tightened if will clear.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima SX-T
27 Posts
Thanks for the info and advice! It helped me CRC my car today. Shot it in the hose by the intake like you said. Took a lot longer than I thought to empty the can. Let it heatsoak. Never did see any big clouds of smoke come out the exhaust but then again my head was under the hood the entire time. After letting it heatsoak I started the car and let it idle a couple minutes and then gave it some gas in the driveway to see if there was any smoke or stumble. Didn't have either so after a few minutes took it for a ride like you said. No hiccups, CEL's or odd misfiring. It ran fine. Thought my car idled fine before using this stuff and after it might idle slightly smoother. I can't tell.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Any tips on doing this on my 2016 Sonata Hybrid? How do I keep the engine running the whole time whilst emptying the can? The ICE will cycle on and off to charge the battery pack. Also no tach on the dash for the hybrid so must use my OBD2 scan tool to watch the rpms that way i guess...

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima SX-T
27 Posts
Be patient, its not as hard as might think it is to do. You might have to stop spraying and adjust the rpm's. I got to where I was listening to the engine to judge the rpm's but I still stopped and checked the tach once in awhile just being careful. You'll get better at judging how much you can spray and things should go smoothly. It wasn't until I got near the end of the can that the engine was a little fussy about staying on rpm. But eventually you'll get it, good luck. :)

61 - 68 of 68 Posts