Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've started noticing oil stains on my garage floor lately that seem to be getting bigger and bigger within the past week. I got curious so I put the car on ramps and had a look. It looks like my oil pan seal is leaking, not just in one spot, but all the way around it. Car only has 23k miles on it. I'm supposed to drive a 7 hour trip Sunday morning so I don't have time to take it to the dealer. So now I guess I need to take an extra quart of oil with me just in case. I'm trying to give Hyundai a fair shot but these issues are getting old quick! :mad:

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Dont get too worried, a tiny bit of oil goes forever, and then some..

Pan re-seal on THETA is nothing new.. take your trip, and dont get too worried about it.

Check oil before you leave, and oil when you get there.. doubt you see any noticeable level change.

What happens is seepage over time from a spot, and the oil creeps all along the seam of goo at lower pan to upper pan joint,, down hill to back where it finally films enough and drip onto underpanel.

Wait till next oil change due, as the oil going to be lost, so in with new oil, and you buy the filter.

Make arrangement with dealer to leave it for the day.. ask that they do it first thing in morning to get pan and new RTV together, and leave it sit all day to allow RTV to get a good start on cure before putting oil in engine and starting.. I like to leave them sit over night if at all possible, come in morning, and fill oil.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I just had the oil changed with QS Ultimate Durability synthetic. That's why I got under the car, to make sure it wasn't the drain plug or filter, but it's not. Going to be on vacation for a week, so I'll make arrangements to have the sealant replaced when I get back.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Yeah I just had the oil changed with QS Ultimate Durability synthetic. That's why I got under the car, to make sure it wasn't the drain plug or filter, but it's not. Going to be on vacation for a week, so I'll make arrangements to have the sealant replaced when I get back.
I had my pan resealed also. Like SBR said, you should wait until next oil change. That way you don't waste the oil you just put in and when the dealer reseals the pan the will change the oil for free. I took in my oil and gave it to them to use. Just be sure to tell them you would like the filter changed also. They'll probably charge you for the filter but that's it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts