1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What do you guys think about this move?
2.4 engine paired with a six speed automatic=181 HP

Original link below from yahoo

And cars.com already shows 2018 Sport models, and most reflect the 2.4 liter engine.

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action/?mdId=22302&mkId=20064&page=1&perPage=20&rd=99999&searchSource=SORT&showMore=true&sort=price-lowest&stkTypId=28880&trId=25398&yrId=35797618&zc=32701

The 2018 Hyundai Tucson Sport its getting its own exclusive engine to help separate it from the rest of the Tucson lineup. It will also get some bragging rights over rivals like the Toyota RAV4.

Now, don't get too excited and imagine yourself racing Mustangs and Camaros in your Hyundai-badged compact SUV. The Tucson Sport comes exclusively with a 2.4-liter 4-cylinder engine that delivers 181-horsepower and 175 lb-ft of torque. This does make the Tucson Sport the most powerful variant in the Tucson range - though the differences are pretty modest. The standard 2.0-liter four-cylinder offers 164 hp and 151 lb-ft of torque, while the optional 1.6-liter turbocharged four serves up 175 hp and 195 lb-ft.

Coupled to a six-speed automatic transmission with a SHIFTRONIC manual mode, buyers have a choice of front- or all-wheel-drive.

Standard features on the Sport include 19-inch alloy wheels, blind spot warning, proximity key with push-button start, a leather wrapped steering wheel and shift-knob, and dual-zone automatic temperature control.

The 2018 Tucson Sport in front-wheel-drive format starts at $25,150, while the Sport equipped with AWD has a starting MSRP of $26,550. This puts the Sport model right in the middle of the Tucson range, which stretches from the base SE model at $22,550, upward to $30,825 for the Limited trim fitted with the turbo four-cylinder and AWD.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/2018-hyundai-tucson-sport-gets-210400544.html

·
Registered
70 Posts
So basically similar to a Santa Fe Sport...

Gives a mid level between the setups for those not wanting a Turbo or DCT but will get lower MPG's and be overall slower vs the 1.6T but an improvement over the 2.0L

·
Registered
219 Posts
What do you guys think about this move?
2.4 engine paired with a six speed automatic=181 HP

Original link below from yahoo

And cars.com already shows 2018 Sport models, and most reflect the 2.4 liter engine.

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action/?mdId=22302&mkId=20064&page=1&perPage=20&rd=99999&searchSource=SORT&showMore=true&sort=price-lowest&stkTypId=28880&trId=25398&yrId=35797618&zc=32701

The 2018 Hyundai Tucson Sport its getting its own exclusive engine to help separate it from the rest of the Tucson lineup. It will also get some bragging rights over rivals like the Toyota RAV4.

Now, don't get too excited and imagine yourself racing Mustangs and Camaros in your Hyundai-badged compact SUV. The Tucson Sport comes exclusively with a 2.4-liter 4-cylinder engine that delivers 181-horsepower and 175 lb-ft of torque. This does make the Tucson Sport the most powerful variant in the Tucson range - though the differences are pretty modest. The standard 2.0-liter four-cylinder offers 164 hp and 151 lb-ft of torque, while the optional 1.6-liter turbocharged four serves up 175 hp and 195 lb-ft.

Coupled to a six-speed automatic transmission with a SHIFTRONIC manual mode, buyers have a choice of front- or all-wheel-drive.

Standard features on the Sport include 19-inch alloy wheels, blind spot warning, proximity key with push-button start, a leather wrapped steering wheel and shift-knob, and dual-zone automatic temperature control.

The 2018 Tucson Sport in front-wheel-drive format starts at $25,150, while the Sport equipped with AWD has a starting MSRP of $26,550. This puts the Sport model right in the middle of the Tucson range, which stretches from the base SE model at $22,550, upward to $30,825 for the Limited trim fitted with the turbo four-cylinder and AWD.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/2018-hyundai-tucson-sport-gets-210400544.html
Adding other information...This pretty interesting information and I knew there's other engine able to fitting in Tucson's engine bay therefore practice possible to get Tucson N performance.

"The Sport will be powered by a conventional 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine that is familiar from the Santa Fe Sport SUV and Sonata sedan, though with slightly less horsepower and torque than in those models, at 181 hp and 175 pounds-feet. The 2.4-liter will be mated to a six-speed automatic transmission and have standard stop-start system for better mileage.

The new engine for the Sport is in addition to the Tucson's base 164-hp, 2.0-liter four-cylinder and six-speed automatic for lower trim levels, and the 175-hp, 1.6-liter turbo with a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic in the Value and Limited models. The punchy little turbo puts out 6 less horsepower than the new 2.4-liter but produces 20 pounds-feet more torque. And its 195 pounds-feet kicks in at 1,500 rpm versus 4,000 for the 2.4-liter's peak output.

The Sport builds on the SEL model ($24,780 to start with front-wheel drive) and adds sportier front and rear bumpers, chrome exhaust tips, 19-inch alloy wheels and side mirrors with turn-signal indicators. It also adds dual climate control, rear climate vents, keyless entry with push-button start, a leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, and door-handle LED approach lights. Safety features include blind spot warning and rear cross-traffic alert."

Link: https://www.cars.com/articles/hyund...ahead-of-2019-models-nyc-debut-1420699478648/

·
Registered
842 Posts
This is the same engine already in the Kia Sportage, which is basically the same car anyways, just with different body and dash panels.

·
Registered
219 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Diesel cars cost too much and they pollute worse than gasoline cars. Gasoline cars tend to produce more CO2 which you can't smell or see, while diesels produce more NOX and particulate matter. With all the emissions equipment they need to pass U.S. regulations, it makes them very unreliable. I have a few friends with modern diesels, all have had issues with the EGR, DPF, or SCR injection and if it was the DPF or SCR the cost to repair was high. Also, gasoline is fairly cheap here in the U.S., while the EU tends to pay more in taxes then they do the actual fuel. I live in one of the highest taxed fuel states and we pay $0.72 dollars per liter for gasoline, that's 0.51 pounds per liter even with all the taxes. We would need to save $3k-$4k in fuel in order to break even with the cost of a diesel vehicle, which is not easily done under 150k miles. Most americans tend to get rid of their cars under 100k miles, so you can see that a diesel wouldn't make sense.

Part of the reason diesel cars here cost so much more is because of the emissions related equipment. That's why VW had a huge scandal here in the U.S. They used cheat software to put the car into a different mode during testing because if they used the proper emissions equipment in each car, it would have raised the price about $1000 more dollars per car. In the end, it cost them more to recall and destroy all those cars. Also, even in Germany, diesel cars are being banned from several cities due to a new recent ruling. VW, BMW, and Mercedes are scrambling to beef up their hybrid and EV car programs.

·
Registered
131 Posts
here in europe nobody would buy a petrol suv..the diesel option is way better for us..

2 usd a litre fuel costs us here in sweden.. i have only owned diesels for the last 15 years and will continue to..my tucson drives so **** nice with this stronger motor..400 nm of tourque makes it easy to drive.
40 mpg aswell...the petrol model will never match that 40 mpg

·
Registered
41 Posts
Now I'm really wishing I would have waited a year. Went with the SE with popular equipment package last year because I didn't like the DCT, especially in stop and go traffic. A shame even then because the Sport obviously had the best features for the price. Now they're finally offering android auto without having to get the navigation equipped system like most of Hyundai and KIA models already offered, and a decent drivetrain.

Might stop by the local dealer once they get some in and have some good incentives just to see how much it would cost me to upgrade. Though going by KBB and Edmunds looks like I'd probably lose close to $5,000 trade-in off what I paid for my SE even with the over $4,000 in incentives I got on it. Way too much for a small engine upgrade and a few extra features. Kind of strange that used Hyundai/KIA prices are pretty comparable to most other brands around here, but trade-in value is so terrible.

·
Registered
41 Posts
So basically similar to a Santa Fe Sport...

Gives a mid level between the setups for those not wanting a Turbo or DCT but will get lower MPG's and be overall slower vs the 1.6T but an improvement over the 2.0L
Maybe slightly slower on the highway, but the 1.6's 0-60 times aren't that great anyway. And the 2.4 would be faster in city/suburb driving while still might be able to do some passing and actually accelerate uphill unlike the 2.0...

The fact that they're offering the 2.4, as well as offered a premium equipment model with the base engine(SE Plus) does seem to indicate a lot of buyers aren't liking the DCT. I see more SE/SE Plus driving around than I do the 1.6 trims.

It's really a shame there aren't any V6 options in this class anymore. About the only good drivetrain option in the US is the Escape 2.0 Ecoboost. Though now that it's only available in the top trim not a great option either, and not a fan of the vehicle itself. Kind of cramped with loud/weirdly designed interior and mediocre fit and finish. Does seem to be the most popular small SUV/crossover around here lately though.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
ford! Oh...no, this is ** on the wheels.

·
Registered
131 Posts
yeah in maybe 5 years time..for now diesel is the only option for owning an suv.

my hyundai i30 got 60mpg...try getting that in most petrol cars...with petrol 8 usd a gallon here owning a diesel is almost a must for most of us.. 20 years time we wont have diesels here i'm sure of that..i'll be ending my driving days by then so wont care

·
Registered
219 Posts
Maybe slightly slower on the highway, but the 1.6's 0-60 times aren't that great anyway. And the 2.4 would be faster in city/suburb driving while still might be able to do some passing and actually accelerate uphill unlike the 2.0...

The fact that they're offering the 2.4, as well as offered a premium equipment model with the base engine(SE Plus) does seem to indicate a lot of buyers aren't liking the DCT. I see more SE/SE Plus driving around than I do the 1.6 trims.

It's really a shame there aren't any V6 options in this class anymore. About the only good drivetrain option in the US is the Escape 2.0 Ecoboost. Though now that it's only available in the top trim not a great option either, and not a fan of the vehicle itself. Kind of cramped with loud/weirdly designed interior and mediocre fit and finish. Does seem to be the most popular small SUV/crossover around here lately though.
Oh yea! I seen a lot of SE / SEL trim the most of time! Some of Limited and ECO.

·
Registered
257 Posts
You guys on the other side of the pond might not be enjoying your diesels for much too long:
https://qz.com/1183779/europes-intoxicating-love-affair-with-diesel-is-dying-out/amp/
I will not get behind diesels, figuratively, physically. :smile:  I don’t like small particles lodged in my lungs.

This article side hints at the elephant in the room issue facing auto makers, dealerships and repair shops. EV’s do not have a thousand expensive components with tolerances held to < 0.001”, machined from high strength steel. Batteries are expensive today but someone else makes them and they are mostly maintenance free and not repairable. Dealerships make more profit from maintenance than new car sales. There is a problem.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Disel,,,,eh...LOL...I am missing my old V12 on eldorado!If you love diesels then buy electric tesla or so,,,hope you will enjoy driving 100km on one charge . Only Turbo diesel like 3L V6 an up I will recognize.

·
Registered
842 Posts
yeah in maybe 5 years time..for now diesel is the only option for owning an suv.

my hyundai i30 got 60mpg...try getting that in most petrol cars...with petrol 8 usd a gallon here owning a diesel is almost a must for most of us.. 20 years time we wont have diesels here i'm sure of that..i'll be ending my driving days by then so wont care
On man, at $8/gallon i'd be driving an electric car in sweden.

Here in the U.S. you can get a Toyota Rav4 Hybrid LE AWD for $29k (34city/30hwy) or a Chevy Equinox 1.6 diesel LT (28city/38 hwy) for $34k AWD.

At a $6k difference and $2.75 for gasoline(ignoring the higher price of diesel), the rav4 hybrid uses 9.2 cents per mile and the diesel equinox uses 7.2 cents per mile. You would have to drive 310,000 miles just to break even with the price difference of the car. At $8/gallon like in Sweden, you would need to drive 106k miles to break even.

·
Registered
131 Posts
we only drive about 30 000 miles then trade it in..the 2.0 184bhp diesel tucson delievers what we need...hybrids only good for city driving..we live in the woods and never drive city.
remember fuel costs a lot here but we earn a lot...me and wife between us earn over 100 000 usd a year...we have no mortgage..car was paid for in cash..mpg is not important to us..i test drove the petrol tucson and prefered the top spec diesel..better motor and better automatic gearbox.

once a hybrid comes along that costs the same as the car we have and drives as good then maybe consider one. i havent owned a petrol car or van for over 15 years...modern diesels imho are better in every way to the petrol equivalent..
ofc laws will stop us buying diesels in the futrue..untill then i will continue

1 - 20 of 22 Posts