Hyundai Forums banner

2.4 l engine replaced ~ coolant leak

4K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  yashwantjvf 
#1 ·
just got vehicle back from dealer.
had engine replaced under warranty.
there is coolant leaking out on garage floor after sitting for a while.
can not see visually any leaks, must be at bottom end.
have added 8 oz. coolant.

system pressurises, gauge indicates not overheating, do not see any leaks when running.

it seems to leak on cool down period?

will take back to dealer in city ( 40 km), would it be ok to drive it in with reservoir topped up?

regards,
t.j.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
You're not over-heating and it leaks on cool-down...you're good to go! Are you keeping the level in the reservoir at "cold" mark?

#3 ·
sbr has mentioned before that fiddling with the lower and/or upper rad hoses then putting back original clamps sometimes causes issues. They reuse as many old parts as possible when installing the new engine.

Agree; just keep it between min/max on expansion tank and get them to fix it ASAP. That doesn’t look like a lot is coming out, probably some more on top the splash shield but still, small leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Look around and feel around,, gut feeling is the heater hoses at plastic joint at back of head,,, we having issue with old heat hose on new fitting, so we just use a number 12 hose clamp in Place of the OE spring clamp on re-assemble...

Measure back to puddle, and place it relative to chassis,, if back near drive unit on transmission, suspect the heater hoses..

#6 ·
This is why I had them replace my upper and lower radiator hoses and serpentine belt when they were replacing my engine. They only charged me $50 for the belt and gave me the hoses for free. Service manager even bought my batter out of his own pocket(he owed me a huge favor) after mine was dead after sitting for 82 days.

#7 ·
Service manager even bought my batter(y) out of his own pocket(he owed me a huge favor) after mine was dead after sitting for 82 days.
...wasn't it their fault it was sitting for that long? :whistling:

#11 ·
As long as you can see something in the clear tank you’re [emoji1303]. I’d get it topped off though next time o went by. It probably burped after they test run it.
You should see how the dealership botched the engine job on my daughters Elantra! First they stuffed, or tried to the wrong engine in a few times I’m told. Then they handed it over to her with the alternator growling, dim lights and no instruments working. They had to order then replace the alternator they broke. Then they gave it to her with a gash in the radiator plastic tank and down so far you couldn’t tell how much was in there. No worries with a new engine made entirely of aluminum and aluminum just loves heat right, idiots? They told her not to worry about it and just drive it all weekend and they’d put a new one in when it came in. She parked it till it came in. I shake my head!
You know the old story about internet advice. Well that goes double for Stealership service managers. They truly have more crap than a Christmas goose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#15 ·
Battery is you, it is an expendible, and age. Freon, you can try, what not to say the system was empty when fella got car in for service ? Though you can easily argue that Hyundai currrent directions call for removal of front end of car (look out in shop for car getting engine replace, all the nose be on the floor off the car), and to get front end away from car, they have to recover freon, and open the system. Then when put back together, they not replace the 2 o-ring for the 2 hoses, and just do a 2 minute vacuum and blow freon back in. A/C contractors vacuum for couple hrs to remove moisture (yep, you system was left open to atmosphere, full of moisture now. and nobody watches this stuff
Thank you for replying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.