Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello..

Yesterday I was trying in R to climb up a hill (due to restriced space to allow a truck to pass by).
The fact is that the front wheels slipped a bit and the car came forward about 3 meters...while the lever was on "R"

Apart from a little bit of burn smell (tires?): nothing happened and my transmission works as good as always.

Overheat of ATF fluid? It has 59.000 km (replacing at 100.000, sealed gearbox).

Later I read that newer electronic transmssions disconnect or don`t allow to shift to R while going forward.
Is this the case?

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Not 100% sure I follow, but ...

If brakes are still applied and the wheels are slipping (not turning), the vehicle has no way to know it is going forward in reverse.

If the wheels are turning the correct direction in reverse to take you uphill, but the vehicle is unable to gain traction and is still slipping downhill, the vehicle has no way to know it is going forward in reverse. The tire rotation is in the correct direction for the gear selected even though you're going the wrong way.

Only if the wheels are actually turning in the downhill direction when in reverse to go uphill could the vehicle know there's a serious problem.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
So we have tires rotating counter to gear selected (the "Only if") case above? That's not all that unusual with an automatic on a hill. Until you get some RPM up, the torque converter won't start to lock up, and you can go in a direction opposite of what is selected thanks to gravity alone. I guess the real question is what speed is determined to be excessive. I honestly don't have a clue where Hyundai sets their threshold. However, in many cases, the designer is including a shift lock-out, and since you were already in the opposing gear, that wouldn't be effective.

There are a few vehicles built (including some Hyundai models) with a 'hill assist' feature, but that only works facing uphill with the vehicle in forward gear. I assume that they don't expect to have too many customers scampering up hills in reverse, and don't include that in that feature!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts