Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Banned
532 Posts
SFS comes with either a 2.0L which has a turbo or a 2.4L non-turbo. The only option shared between them is FWD or AWD. I've got a 2.4L it's quiet and just a hair louder in ECO.

·
2,258 Posts
title changed. as many have mentioned, the SF doesnt come with a 2.0.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the 2.4, but I've tested the 2.0T on several occasions. Noise-wise, they're roughly the same. If you're really listening, the 2.4 is a little louder as you climb the revs, mainly because it doesn't have the turbo assisting with it getting up to speed.

I'm about 17k into mine, and I have absolutely no issues with the noise of the engine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 2.4 AWD produces a bit of engine vibration at idle while in drive and the brakes applied. I can feel it in the steering wheel, disappears when underway. This is my first automatic so uncertain if this is normal? Otherwise super quiet even under acceleration.

·
Registered
77 Posts
When i test drove my first ride was a 2.4 with all options it was nice solid secure feeling vehicle, then I drove a 2.0t from the first step on the gas out of the parking lot you could hear and feel a huge difference, the engine felt like more money. After driving it for 4k It is very nice, and when you hold the revs (manual shift) it really comes alive.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Santa Fe 2.0T engine

I bought my Santa Fe Sep 11, 2013.
2.0T AWD SE
1284 kilometres to today. I just noticed today a little vibration through the stearing wheel at idle with foot on the brake. No issue, hardly noticable.
I am 69 years old so have had quite a few vehicles in my life. Mostly Hondas in the last few years. Almost bought a CRV.
Not that I think a CRV is not a good vehicle but am sure happy I got the Santa Fe.
The engine demonstrates its power from 1500rpm by pulling so smoothly with no vibration. This engine is amazingly smooth, quiet and powerful (considering it is a 4 cylinder)
HP/Litre is 132. BMW M5 is 125 HP/Litre (560HP in a 4.4 V8). To me that alone is impressive. This is a fun vehicle, no loud exhaust, no lag, just a smooth, quiet ride with a little (lot) kick in your back when the mood strikes you.
Well done Hyundai!! A very happy owner!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Turbos are always a love hate thing. The added power is a great advantage but the biggest con is the lag. This means that you really don't know when the turbo kicks in which make things, interesting lol.

The 2.0T on the SF Sport coupled with it's transmission that's always second guessing itself proves to be a very jumpy ride. On our SF Sport, my wife drives it more than I do but when I get behind the wheel I prefer to shift manually so that I can better anticipate the turbo lag and not have to worry about the car unexpectedly jumping forward.

If you are an assertive driver but prefer a smooth ride, go for the 2.4 but if you are a little more "assertive" and don't mind having to tame the beast, go for the 2.0T. This little engine packs a real punch and once you learn how to drive it, you will love the power.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Turbos are always a love hate thing. The added power is a great advantage but the biggest con is the lag. This means that you really don't know when the turbo kicks in which make things, interesting lol.
That was certainly true of earlier turbos in performance installations but modern turbos with variable geometry and electronic boost control are very different - particularly on the current crop of "Ecoboost" engines where downsizing and lower fuel demand are the objectives, not performance.

Perhaps the engineers at Hyundai R&D California, who designed the 2.0T, need to exchange ideas with their colleagues at Hyundai R&D Germany who designed the 2.0/2.2CRDi which has an embarassing amount of low speed torque on part-throttle!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I agree totally with Pablo, the turbo can be a little jumpy at times and it has a totally different personality when shifted manually and really steps out when pushed, 4k rpm or higher. I don't find it annoying when in full auto the trans does occasionally hunt for a gear, and also find it better with the ecco off, there is no mpg difference in my exhaustive research.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have the 2.0T Love it, I really bought it for more towing capacity in the future. at idle you don't even know its boosted but let it spool up and you will now. From a stand still it's got lag but if your going to pass on the road it's like instant. i love it, still get 26mpg on the interstate running 75-80mph. I know i should drive slower but when your facing a 870mi trip alone i try to get there quickly.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The lag doesn't come from the turbo, but rather the transmission downshifting. Hence why the "lag" disappears in manual mode.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I think the Turbo setup they used it pretty good. The only time I notice any "Turbo Lag" is if you try to gun it off the line. Not really an issue for me because I don't want to kill my mileage anyway so I don't gun off the line.

During normal driving I don't really notice much difference at all until you step on the gas to pass. No hesitation, no lag, this thing just goes.

I had a 2.4L loaner for a few days and it is a completely acceptable engine for this car. Drive well, accelerates well, passes on the highway just fine. The Turbo is just a little more fun :D.

Now if you plan to tow with it, get the Turbo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the tidbit about the 2.4's acceleration. I've been lurking on the forums and had been curious about how it performed compared to the 2.0T. My wife and I are leaning towards the 2.4 simply because there's less maintenance involved. We are seriously considering the 2014 SFS, but debating which engine to get. We are coming from a turbo Subaru Forester and while it was fun, we are kinda over the higher maintenance involved and premium fuel required.

Anyone have any experience going uphill with the 2.4? Does it struggle?

·
Registered
544 Posts
The 2.4l accelerates very well with lots of power, but it tends to bog down somewhat between 60 and 100 km/h requiring you to give it more gas. I believe this is the transmission that causes this. The turbo would not have this problem. You would need to drive both.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the tidbit about the 2.4's acceleration. I've been lurking on the forums and had been curious about how it performed compared to the 2.0T. My wife and I are leaning towards the 2.4 simply because there's less maintenance involved. We are seriously considering the 2014 SFS, but debating which engine to get. We are coming from a turbo Subaru Forester and while it was fun, we are kinda over the higher maintenance involved and premium fuel required.

Anyone have any experience going uphill with the 2.4? Does it struggle?

The 2.4 does require a heavy foot on long steep hills if you want to keep your speed up. Shifting manually helps. Not a problem unless you live in the Rockies ;)

I keep my cars 10 years+ when posible, have no Hyundai turbo experience but had a few issues with VW turbos at around 300,000km. Expensive repairs...

Cheers

1 - 20 of 53 Posts