Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen conflicting reports about which model years were involved in the engine failure due to metal particles. Exactly what years were involved?
Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
All theta-ii 2.0, 2.4, and 2.0T GDI engines...

Metal particles was a farce

·
Registered
486 Posts
Yes, much more than that is wrong with them, still having problems in 2019... 8 years after the metal particles Includes all 2.0, 2.4, and 2.0T GDI from 2011 to 2019 as far as I know.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Yes, much more than that is wrong with them, still having problems in 2019... 8 years after the metal particles Includes all 2.0, 2.4, and 2.0T GDI from 2011 to 2019 as far as I know.
That's incredibly discouraging. Freaking 9 years of bad engines. And I thought I bought a car from a good car manufacturer. Hopefully their next engine family won't be as sh*tty.

·
Registered
486 Posts
On the bright side, Lifetime warranty for the short block

·
Registered
2012 Sonata 2.0t Ltd & 2020 Palisade Ltd
562 Posts
That's incredibly discouraging. Freaking 9 years of bad engines. And I thought I bought a car from a good car manufacturer. Hopefully their next engine family won't be as sh*tty.
For what it’s worth, the next family is now available on the 2020 Sonata. The name of the family is SmartStream.

·
Registered
254 Posts
On the bright side, Lifetime warranty for the short block
Lifetime. I guess that depends on your version of lifetime, dog years maybe.
I cured my problems the sure simple way and traded as did all the rest of my family and paid the long dollar for Toyotas. I figure any outfit that can’t fix their mess after 5 years isn’t deserving of my.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
999 Posts
For what it’s worth, the next family is now available on the 2020 Sonata. The name of the family is SmartStream.
Guess they can't be any worse then the Theta II GDI.
There is a good point in that the cars with the troublesome engines can be had cheap. Back in 2016, I found a 2011 SWP Kia, I know Kia, Optima Turbo with every option, 107,000 miles and picked it up for $7200, had the engine replaced 12/19 172,000 miles. For many reasons, really don't like the car, but it's a cheap, nice looking, good performance vehicle with crappy fuel mileage.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,524 Posts
Lifetime. I guess that depends on your version of lifetime, dog years maybe.
I cured my problems the sure simple way and traded as did all the rest of my family and paid the long dollar for Toyotas. I figure any outfit that can’t fix their mess after 5 years isn’t deserving of my.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Did you or anyone in your family have an engine go and need the replacement warranty? Or did you just drop the brand because of the settlement?

Since the LF versions (2015-2019) the failure rate is very low and many Sonatas are out there with 150,000 + miles on original engines and they are still warrantied. Owners are getting warranty replacement long blocks with reported mileages over 170,000 that is unmatched by any other company.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Did you or anyone in your family have an engine go and need the replacement warranty? Or did you just drop the brand because of the settlement?

Since the LF versions (2015-2019) the failure rate is very low and many Sonatas are out there with 150,000 + miles on original engines and they are still warrantied. Owners are getting warranty replacement long blocks with reported mileages over 170,000 that is unmatched by any other company.
Not low enough. My car's at like 82500 and it looks like I need a replacement. At least the warranty is unlimited but a professional car company should do better with its QA.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Its rather interesting but in Russia when a lot of places rebuild the 2.4 they remove the balance shaft assembly/oil pump and replace it with the oil pump from GK4D.

Моторы G4KE-G4KD 4B10-4B11-4B12 — DRIVE2

Установка масляного насоса от G4KD на G4KE — Hyundai Santa Fe, 2.4 л., 2014 года на DRIVE2

The theory is that under cornering if the oil is low the balance shaft/oil pump assembly of the GK4E may lose oil momentarily... gradually this trashes the bearings in the oil pump/balance shaft assembly and of course if the oil pump starts to gradually work less efficiently, the oil delivery to the bearings (especially connecting rod bearings) goes down trashing them as well. The GK4E oil pump also has to spin twice as fast engine rpm wise, than the GK4D pump.

They don't report that much more vibration with the GK4D oil pumps. One poster built a oil pressure test rig to test the difference between the GK4E and GK4D pumps. He found that a 9mm spacer needs to be put into the oil pressure relief valve spring to bring the pressure spec up to the same as the GK4E.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts