Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Before I posted, I attempted to locate other threads that would explain my recent test drive experience with the 2.0T but I couldn't find anything and have decided to create a new thread.

VERY interested in the 2.0T but when I test drove it this weekend, the transmission seemed to lurch when I was gradually gaining speed from a stop. I wasn't trying to press the accelerator hard. Just driving it like I would my car and gradually gain speed while driving economically. The 2.4 seemed to do this less, but it also did it.

For those who own 2.0Ts, could y'all tell me if this is normal? I plan on test driving other 2.0T in the event the one I drove was an exception, but just curious.

Thank you all for dealing with another thread that might exist but I haven't found. :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
You mention that a 2.4 did this as well - I have a 2.4, and don't notice any issues with it at all. I would suspect a bad one or a bad batch (if you are seeing it in more than one).

·
Registered
334 Posts
Just back from a 3,000 KM trip down I-5 towing my tiny trailer.
I have about 27,000 KM on my SF now. Hopefully not hexing myself, but absolutely love my SF.

Tranny smooth up/down, auto/manual. Used manual quite a bit this trip going up/down the hills of Oregon and CA in outside temps as high as 37 degrees.

Specific to your question, no lurching, towing or not.
I don't consider myself an aggressive driver so I think I would notice if there was other than smooth shifting.

As bwgreen mentioned, try a few.

BTW, my FUELLY is not up-todate as I have to convert first. Avg. regular gas cost: $4.15/gal since I didn't use cash.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@hwitten - yes, I am not an aggressive driver also, so I'm really light on the pedal. My expectation was imperceptible shifts in the transmission because that's what I've read in the forums and reviews. On both 2.4 and 2.0T, the behavior of the engine seemed to be that the speed increase wasn't linear and that there was a drop off in power (just a little) so that I felt like there was a "lurch" in the transmission.

However, your response and bwgreen is very reassuring. I will just need to drive a couple of more to see if I can repeat the experience or if I was just driving 2 anomalies.

Appreciate the quick feedback!!

·
2,258 Posts
OP: our 2.4 does this too. it gear hunts very rapidly. it almost enjoys dropping a gear without even thinking twice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, ECO mode was definitely off. ImStricken's 2.4 seems to exhibit the symptoms that I mentioned. Sorry, i was just expecting to feel virtually no gear shifts based on what I've read. Perhaps I am being overly sensitive.

·
Registered
126 Posts
There are a few things to consider. First off, as Dave_Graham said, make sure you're not in "ECO" mode. The transmission shifts extremely differently and I still have a hard time making the acceleration smooth in this mode. The transmission shifts early to higher gears to conserve fuel and keep you out of boost. The other thing to consider is that ANY new car requires up to 5,000 miles, per the dealer, to fully break-in. The transmission is no exception. In my own experience, I feel like most cars aren't fully broken-in and therefore not performing to their peak until roughly 15,000 miles. That's when you will see your optimum fuel efficiency and performance.

My guess is that your experience fell into the realm of my two above considerations. The vehicle may have been in "ECO" mode and likely had far less than 5,000 miles on it. If I'm not in ECO mode and just taking it easy on the gas pedal, you truly couldn't tell if I have a six speed or CVT. It's that smooth. Hope this helps.

·
2,258 Posts
Yes, ECO mode was definitely off. ImStricken's 2.4 seems to exhibit the symptoms that I mentioned. Sorry, i was just expecting to feel virtually no gear shifts based on what I've read. Perhaps I am being overly sensitive.
i was also a tad (and still am at times actually) surprised to hear it and feel it downshift and rev up high to start climbing up a small hill, or merge on a highway, or coming out of a tight on-ramp.

seamless gear changes happen when gear ratio's are really-really close together in size. it seems like in this car, they opted to create a more 'traditional' tranny with 5 or 6 gears that are spaced out a little more than we are all used to. is it a sign of a problem? nope.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am also lead to wonder if what you were feeling was turbo lag? At slow speeds, with slow pedal activation from a stop, the turbo lag will feel like what the OP described. It is significantly less when ECO mode is off. My wife even noticed this and complained. Now we just drive it a little more aggressively from a stop, not a lot aggressive because this little 2L, once the turbo does spool up, will surprise you with how well it gets our Sante Fe's rolling. Once you are up past about 10 MPH, our SF feels pretty normal and smooth.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I am also lead to wonder if what you were feeling was turbo lag? At slow speeds, with slow pedal activation from a stop, the turbo lag will feel like what the OP described. It is significantly less when ECO mode is off. My wife even noticed this and complained. Now we just drive it a little more aggressively from a stop, not a lot aggressive because this little 2L, once the turbo does spool up, will surprise you with how well it gets our Sante Fe's rolling. Once you are up past about 10 MPH, our SF feels pretty normal and smooth.

Pretty much the same here...

For the most part, I drive with ECO on...I find the shifting smooth, except when I kick in the turbo quickly...There`s a bit of 'lag', (similiar to the hesitation when kicking in 'passing gear'), then BAM: I`m gone...

With ECO off, sometimes I have to check the tach to see if it has shifted, very smooth...and turbo 'lag' with the ECO off is just about non-existent...

As mentioned, the OP should test drive numerous vehicles to calm his peace of mind about this perceived fault, especially the one he intends to purchase.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I agree with Cheers and the others about the ECO button and "lag". I usually drive with it on but have learned to switch it off when I am in traffic and might need to have a little jump in power NOW to change lanes, etc. I too have noticed the lag as I turn a corner on to the highway and want to accelerate up to the speed limit to keep from getting run over. I keep pressing the accelerator and suddenly it down shifts and takes off.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Derf08,
Decipher said it best about the way the tranny acts when on ECO mode. I haven't had mine on ECO mode since week 1.
I have 14,000 km on my 2.0T AWD - no lag/stutter - and I'm a good mix of easy on the pedal, and aggressive too....
She's a good ride.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Derf08,
Decipher said it best about the way the tranny acts when on ECO mode. I haven't had mine on ECO mode since week 1.
I have 14,000 km on my 2.0T AWD - no lag/stutter - and I'm a good mix of easy on the pedal, and aggressive too....
She's a good ride.
And your MPG is??
Really like to know what kind of mileage you are getting with the ECO off. Yes, I know you have AWD and that too can make a difference. I am really thinking of leaving mine off too.
My driving is mixed but NOT heavy stop and go city stuff. 1/4 mile from our condo is Hwy17 that is 45 MPH, 3 lane, few stop lights but at times heavy traffic. We also have 526 Interstate with 60+mph that we are on a good bit. Can't get by 19.5 mpg with a light foot looking for better mpg. Going back to my normal driving style and see what happens.

·
Registered
759 Posts
JRM,

Keep in mid, AWD might add a little weight, but unless there's a traction issue, it's only in FWD mode... So mileage is pretty much identical.
With that said, I'm averaging 11.2L/100... Which equates to 20.8mpg.
On a side note, I did a recent road trip to Ottawa (6 hourdrive each way), and had reset the gauge after a fill up, then directly hit the highway. After about an hour on cruise, I was down to 8.2L/100... Or 28.6 mpg. So the SFS really has potential.

At the end of the day, its not a Chevy cruze, and anyone driving it has to realize its a CUV. I came from a 3.7L Jeep Grand Cherokee, and was paying $95-$100/ week in fuel, on 450km to a tank. I now get 530 km to a tank on $65-$70 fill up..... Life is good.
And the turbo is fun!

·
Registered
444 Posts
JRM,

Keep in mid, AWD might add a little weight, but unless there's a traction issue, it's only in FWD mode... So mileage is pretty much identical.
That's what I thought too, but fwd is rated at 27mpg vs awd at 24mpg, awd loses 3mpg, go figure!

·
Registered
105 Posts
We finally went in for a test drive of the '14 2.0T with Tech. Both wife and I were impressed by the features and design. We took turns driving it.

However, during the actual drive, we noticed there was a lurch or jerk when we accelerated quickly. We were applying pretty good force but not completely gunning it or anything.

I've never driven a Turbo, but I assume that shouldn't be happening, and assuming that isn't turbo lag. That doesn't happen in my 4 cyl Mazda 3, which is only 160 hp. I didn't look to see if ECO was enabled, but I'd be surprised if that was turned on in a test drive car.

Thoughts? I guess I'll go in for another test drive at another dealership. Also, if you think it's just a bad batch, how do you avoid that when actually buying?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts