Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I buy a used 2016 hyundai sonata with the turbo engine .
since i bought it the engines knocks even with premium fuel ,so I pull the spark plugs and its (denso fxu16hr11) , i believe this not the right one for this engine.
I am living in iraq so there is no authorized dealership in here .
what is the oem spark plugs used in this vehicle ?
and what are my other options (note i can find some brands like ngk ,denso or champion)?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Straight off Hyundai Service page says NGK "SILZKR7E9G" -->2.0T

1.6L Turbo reflects an "8G"

·
Registered
198 Posts
Go with the Hyundai part number. The only other plugs I have found as showing that will work is an Autolite XP5703. Advance auto, Autozone, and Rockauto do not show a Denso/NGK part number.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
2,038 Posts
You can find them shipped from Korea on EBay (NGK SILZKR7E9G )

I believe the earlier models came with Denso but the current Hyundai replacement are the NGK. I ended up buying fom an online Hyudai Dealer and got them delivered for $18 and change per plug. From the dealership locally they are $ 25+ each and on EBay from Korea thet are as low as $ 11 if you shop around

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Straight off Hyundai Service page says NGK "SILZKR7E9G" -->2.0T

1.6L Turbo reflects an "8G"
You can find them shipped from Korea on EBay (NGK SILZKR7E9G )

I believe the earlier models came with Denso but the current Hyundai replacement are the NGK. I ended up buying fom an online Hyudai Dealer and got them delivered for $18 and change per plug. From the dealership locally they are $ 25+ each and on EBay from Korea thet are as low as $ 11 if you shop around
thanks for replying , i did a research on the oem plugs ,some owners order them form their local shop they get the NGK SILZK8E9G which is colder than the NGK SILKR7E9G .is it okay to use a 7 heat range rather than 8?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Go with the Hyundai part number. The only other plugs I have found as showing that will work is an Autolite XP5703. Advance auto, Autozone, and Rockauto do not show a Denso/NGK part number.
thanks for replying ,is there is another brand with the same spec rather than autolite (because it isnt available in iraq)?

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
8,842 Posts
thanks for replying , i did a research on the oem plugs ,some owners order them form their local shop they get the NGK SILZK8E9G which is colder than the NGK SILKR7E9G .is it okay to use a 7 heat range rather than 8?
The colder plug will reduce pinging. If you use Autolites they don't last like OE iridiums.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Hyundai changed part number for the Turbo plugs to the 8E9G to reduce plug problems (random center porcelin crack and drop to snuff out / block gap for spark, besides program change to PCM

Use the "8" as specified by Hyundai

Reactions: teezythakidd

·
Registered
198 Posts
Surely it's still under warranty. Get the dealer to fix............
Depends on the mileage of the car. If he is within or past the window at which the plugs needed to be changed then no, there is no warranty. You need to have the maintenance done first before you blame the factory for the issue.

For the earlier quote post, no I do not know of any plugs other than the factory Hyundai or the Autolite as shown in the vehicle searches I did on the store websites. If parts are that hard to come by where you are, buy factory so you are absolutely positive that you have installed what needs to be there and then you can diagnose the problem, if there is still one after.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Surely it's still under warranty. Get the dealer to fix............
Depends on the mileage of the car. If he is within or past the window at which the plugs needed to be changed then no, there is no warranty. You need to have the maintenance done first before you blame the factory for the issue.

For the earlier quote post, no I do not know of any plugs other than the factory Hyundai or the Autolite as shown in the vehicle searches I did on the store websites. If parts are that hard to come by where you are, buy factory so you are absolutely positive that you have installed what needs to be there and then you can diagnose the problem, if there is still one after.

The car was imported as salvage vehicle from usa ,its not covered by the warranty also we have only dealerships for the middle east version of hyundai cars which come with the old theta 2 non gdi 2.4 engine.

I ve found the HKS M40XL which is equivalent to ngk heat range 8 ,i think it is better than the autolite heat range 9

·
Registered
86 Posts
Reading the ngk part number:

E.g: SILZKR7E8:

SILZKR is the design of the plug (thin wire iridium center, platinum ground, etc)

The 7 (or 8 whatever) is the heat range, higher is hotter

E is plug revision

8 is 0.8mm factory pre-gap, ie 0.032inch

If you use a colder plug than the spec, you may get carbon fouling.
If you use a too hot plug you may have premature detonation, plug damage etc.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Reading the ngk part number:

E.g: SILZKR7E8:

SILZKR is the design of the plug (thin wire iridium center, platinum ground, etc)

The 7 (or 8 whatever) is the heat range, higher is hotter

E is plug revision

8 is 0.8mm factory pre-gap, ie 0.032inch

If you use a colder plug than the spec, you may get carbon fouling.
If you use a too hot plug you may have premature detonation, plug damage etc.
Good information.You learn something every day....:thumbsup:

Reactions: williamhood

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wanted to know if the NGK Spark Plug SILZKR7E9G is still a compatible plug with a Canadian 2015 Sonata 2.0T Ultimate?
My vehicle was manufactured in Nov 2014, if that is required. I was asked that question by the parts guy that I know at a local place where I go to and provided me with the NGK listed above. He also claimed that there were different NGK plug P/Ns depending on the manufacturing date of the vehicle as per his system.

The Hyundai dealerships in the Greater Toronto Area want $34 to $36 for each plug. The Hyundai P/N that they claim is the current plug revision as per Hyundai Canada is 18849-09075.

If I am reading the Hyundai Canada P/N correctly, it appears to be the same spec as the NGK listed above, heat range is 7 and gap is .9mm (.036") for both plug specs.

Thanks in advance for the input.

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
8,842 Posts
A good way to see if your plugs are the right heat range is to take them out and look at the color on the ground electrode. White is too hot and dark is too cold. But the perfect range the electrode color will change from dark to light at the bend of the ground strap.

Wallace Racing - Spark Plug Reading

And heat range varies by manufacture. Some get hotter with a large number, some get colder. So be sure to know what is what with the particular plug manufacturer.

https://www.briskusa.com/spark_plug_cross_reference_heat_range_chart

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
A sound recording of the ping/knock would be very helpful.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts